Moser 9" Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moser 9" Help

Looking for some help with my Moser 9". Got everything installed and broken in on the jackstands. Once I got it on the ground, the problems started. It appears that the body is hung up on something as I have BMR lowering springs in the rear and my body looks like it is sitting higher than with my stock rear. I have a UMI adjustable torque arm that mounts at the tunnel brace. When I installed it, I noticed that the pivot plates were not perpendicular to the ground, but instead the top was rotated forward a good half inch or so. Not sure if the torque arm is the problem or not, but it looks like the torque arm bracket for the Moser sits considerably higher on the rear end housing than that on a stock. Any help would be appreciated as I am stumped. Can't find anything hitting anywhere, other that I thought the torque arm might have been hitting the bolt that holds the rear seat belt on the driver's side. Removed it, but no luck. I also strung my alignment and mny driver's side looks to be about a hlaf inch shorter than the passenger's side. Thanks everyone!!!
    '97 Ram Air TA. Moser 9" (4.11), UMI Rear susp, TA STB and SFC's. BMR Lowering springs. QA1 Single Adjustable shocks, Spohn sway bars, Pacesetter LT's, MSD Ignition and Crane Gold Race RR's.

Are both your springs set properly on the rear end, and on the body?

The torque arm mount should be close to stock - mine was nearly the same position because I'm using the stock torque arm with a poly mount...so it has no adjustment, yet it fit the bracket fine. Any pics of this problem?
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Another thought - the fact that the Moser axle tubes are 1/2" larger in diameter than stock may account for a 1/4" rise in the rear body height. And, if they didn't make the lower spring seat brackets exactly like the stockers, they may sit a bit higher on the axle as well. Another plus for the Strange, that uses the stock axle tube diameter, and the actual stock spring seats.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

[IMG]G:\DCIM\110CANON\IMG_1027[/IMG]

[IMG]G:\DCIM\110CANON\IMG_1022[/IMG]

I will get a more here in a few. The best one I had given the pictures I had taken for reference when I put stuff on. Anything in particular you would like to see? Hopefully the pics come through. Will go take more and post. I guess one thing I didn't mention that I should have is we strung my alignment and it appears that the driver's side is a half inch shorter that the passenger side. I doble checked my control arms before putting the rear end in so I know they are the same length. I guess that is why I have suspected the torque arm...I thought that maybe it had the rear end cocked somehow. Should I be using the set of bolt holes closest to the rear end or the outside set? On the stock rear it was the inside set. Thanks!!!
        '97 Ram Air TA. Moser 9" (4.11), UMI Rear susp, TA STB and SFC's. BMR Lowering springs. QA1 Single Adjustable shocks, Spohn sway bars, Pacesetter LT's, MSD Ignition and Crane Gold Race RR's.

Comment

Guess I need help in the "How to's" of posting images...got a quick tutorial?

Comment

To upload a picture, if you don't have a hosting service, you need to click on the "Manage attachments", then browse and upload the file. You may have to resize the image as th max here is 100k.

I took a few to show my differences between the front and rear height...I have stock length springs. Do you notice more variance? The 3rd pic shows how "straight" the tq is supposed to be.
            Attached Files
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Since its an adjustable torque arm, did you set the pinion angle correctly?
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Here are the pictures and the 3rd one is what was causing the problem (Hope these come through this time as I got the bright idea of reading the "For Newbies" post):

Anyhow, as you can see where I was using the 1st set of bolt holes (ones used for the stock rear), the overhang of the torque arm bracket, when the chassis was loaded, put a nice ding in the undercarriage. Not cool at all. To answer your question (Injuneer), I had set the torque arm to 0 degrees, but needed to get the car back up in the air to check the driveshaft angle. It is my understandiung that you have to add the 2 values to get the pinion angle. Any how, I am going to drop the rear down so I can get my TA bolts into the bracket and then reattach everything. I moved the rear about a 1/4". I guess, in the end, once I get the front shocks and springs in, I am taking this someplace to get everything squared up and aligned properly. Just want to get everything done first.

Comment

My bad...the 3rd link didn't come through right:

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention was that I talked to UMI this morning about it and they told me I had to use the 2nd set of holes for the TA and that I would have to shorten the panhard rod so that I could use them. Hopefully, when all is said and done (get the front springs and shocks in, and my control arm relocation brackets in), I can get the car some place to get everything squared up professionally as mentioned previously.

Comment

I'm still trying to visualize your issue. First, does the UMI tq arm only use have different sets of bolt holes? Is that what you're referring to by saying "1st set of bolt holes (ones used for the stock rear)"?

I'm also trying to figure out where it's making contact...is the area near the circled part in the pic below?

Comment

The UMI Torque Arm is drilled for both the 9" and the 12 bolt. It has two sets of holes. At least that is my understanding anyway. I will try and take pictures of it as I am getting ready to work on it. That being said, the area you have circled is correct, however, it is up inside the tunnel and not right there at the very bottom.

Here is a picture where you can see the 4 bolt holes and it is attached:

Comment

Everyone's TA is now drilled for two different bolt hole locations. One set fits the stock 10-bolt and the Strange 12-bolt. The other set is for the "offset" TA mounts provided with the Moser 12-bolt and the Moser 9-inch.

Its hard to compensate for the perspective in your photos, but it looks like the bottom (flat) of the TA mounting bracket is pointing upwards. That should typically be pointing down. When you set the pinion angle (coarse method), you measure the angle of the DS and the angle of the bottom of the TA bracket, and subtract them. That gives you the resulting angle between the two, and should result in the bottom of the TA bracket and the DS making a \/ with the pinion pointing down slightly, relative to the DS. That allows the pinion to rotate up slightly under reaction to the torque load on launch, making the pinion and DS roughly a straight line. The flat on the bottom of your brackets appears to be pointed up, not level, or down. The spring seats look like they are not level.

It APPEARS (like I said, hard to tell in the photos) that you have the pinion shaft rotated upwards, which rotates the axle and pushes up the spring pads, raising the rear of the body.
                          Fred

Comment

Working...
                          X