Code 61, Air conditioning system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code 61, Air conditioning system

My A/C all of a sudden quit running, meaning I couldn't even hear the compressor kick on when turning on the A/C. I did a scan and found code 61 (description was something like low charge? but reset it before I could remember exactly). Once that was reset, the A/C works again. I had just replaced my brake light switch, so I was messing with the wires under the dash...I don't know if that has anything to do this with, but has anyone experienced this code and know the exact reasoning for it? My A/C works again for now, but I'm not sure if this issue will come back again. Thanks in advance.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Id just keep an eye on it cuz if it does in fact have a low charge, itll do it again...it wont harm anything. As the weather gets warmer, itll be more obvious, and youll probably notice the compressor short-cycling. If not, then it may have just been a diagnostics anomaly (spell-check, Wolfdogs).

Comment

Thanks for the advice...

It threw threw the code again so I guess that it may really be low. I had an old can of 134a so I tried to recharge it. It seemed to only take around 1/4 of the can, but it does blow cold air. And the can was frozen after the recharge. I'll have to see if it will happen again...I might need a new can.
      94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Everyone SHOULD have a set of gauges in their tool arsenal. You can usually find a good set for well under $100 and the first couple of times you use them, theyve already paid for themselves Id suggest getting some...youd be surprised at how often youll find yourself using them. It eliminates much of the guesswork in diagnosing AC problems and allows you to more precisely re-charge your system(s). Did you notice if your compressor was short-cycling? Thats usually a sign of a low charge.

Comment

Working...
        X