Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z06 wheels for 01 TA WS6 Size Question

Hey again guys!

I've found a good price on the following wheels (which I've also been told fit my car but I thought I'd ask you guys):

Brand New 18 inch 5 Lug Polished Z06 ZO6 Style Corvette Wheels/Rims

Set of 4
    Size: 18x9.5 inch
    Bolt Pattern : 5x120.65mm (Same as 5x4.75)
    Offset/ET: 57 MM
    Finish: Polished

So yeah, will these actually fit my car? And if so, any special thing I need to know about choosing tired for them? I think I'm going to buy some Falken FK-452's but I'm not sure what size so that it will fit properly on the rim and inside the wheel well, or whatever its called (I'm pretty novice when it comes to cars). I believe I want low profile tires, but thats the extent of my knowledge.

I was going to go staggered but I swear finding rims (in variety) for my car at a good price and a nice style is impossible (I like the split spoke - and I was going to get those Ruff Racing 278's but I can't find them anywhere anymore). I think having wider front and back will be better for handling/braking anyways instead of having normal front tires.

Let me know what you guys think!

Yes, they will fit correctly on your 01 TA. Bolt pattern is correct, and offset is correct.

You can look at either a 275/35-18 (25.58") or a 285/35-18 (25.85") tire for that wheel. They are the closest match to your stock tire diameter (25.66").
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
      Yes, they will fit correctly on your 01 TA. Bolt pattern is correct, and offset is correct.

You can look at either a 275/35-18 (25.58") or a 285/35-18 (25.85") tire for that wheel. They are the closest match to your stock tire diameter (25.66").
      275/35-18 (25.58") or a 285/35-18 (25.85")

What's the difference between the two?

Comment

"275" (10.83") is the "section width" of the tire..... the width of the tire in millimeters, at the widest point on the sidewall. A 275/35-18 will be pretty much the same width as your stock 275/40-17 tires. A 285 (11.22") would be about 0.40" wider.

The closer you match the outside diameter of the tire, the closer your speedo will be to the correct speed, not requiring any reprogramming of the PCM. Both those tire sizes would provide a negligible error on the speedo/odo.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
          "275" (10.83") is the "section width" of the tire..... the width of the tire in millimeters, at the widest point on the sidewall. A 275/35-18 will be pretty much the same width as your stock 275/40-17 tires. A 285 (11.22") would be about 0.40" wider.

The closer you match the outside diameter of the tire, the closer your speedo will be to the correct speed, not requiring any reprogramming of the PCM. Both those tire sizes would provide a negligible error on the speedo/odo.
          Oh okay that makes sense thanks for the help and quick reply!

I'm guessing that 285 will be the better choice because it will give more tire surface on the ground?

Comment

Oh, and my stock tires are "275/40-17" right, and 275 is the width of the tire. So when a rim is say, 18x9.5, is 9.5 the rim width? And does that mean that my stock rims are 17x9.5, since a 275 tire fits on it? I'm not seeing how a 275 and 275 width tire will fit on the same rim?

Comment

A wheel has three critical dimension...... example 18x9.5" 57mm:

18" is the diamter of the wheel where the tire bead sits. 9.5" is the width of the wheel, between the side flanges that hold the tire bead on the wheel. In other words, the 9.5" width is an "inside" dimension. The overall width of a 9.5" wide wheel is closer to 10.5". 57mm is the "offset", or the distance the mounting surface of the wheel's hub is offset from the centerline of the wheel. A wheel with "0" offset would have 1/2 of its width behind the hub mounting surface (= "backspace), and the other half of the wheel would proect outward an equal distance (= "frontspace"). A +57mm offset means the centerline of the wheel is 57mm (~2.24") behind the hub mounting surface.

For your 9.5" wide wheel, the overall measurement is about 10.5". With the 2.24" offset, the backspace of the wheel is 7.49", meaning the back of the wheel sits very deep in the wheel well. That's roughly where you want it, because the stock WS6 and SS wheels are 17x9.0" 50mm. That means the stock wheel has a backspace of about 6.97", and the 1/2" extra width you added is at the back of the wheel. You could also have gone with a wheel with a 44mm offset, which would push the front of the wheell 1/2" more toward the outside of the fender, yielding a slightly more aggressive appearance. The popular Torque Thrust II wheels are generally 45mm offset.

A tire will fit on more than one size rim. A 275/35-18 tire, according to most tire manufacturers, will fit acceptably on a wheel width of 9.0" - 11.0", with a "measured" width of 9.5" ("measured" = the exact wheel size the tire was designed for, and on which all the published dimensions are based). A 285/35-18 will fit on wheels ranging from 9.5" - 11.0", with a 10.0" measured wheel width.

Fred

Comment

Wow that's alot of info, and exactly what I was looking for. Very well explained, and thanks for spending the time to formulate the great answer. I know these novice questions get annoying after a while for you regulars.

Comment

Working...
                X