Wheels and tires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels and tires

I'm about to purchase some black ZR1's for my formula...Im gonna buy 18x9.5(offset:56mm) with 245/40/18 tires for about $500 total.Will those tires look bad? and will they rub or anything like that let me know please
    Youngin' JP
    1994 Firebird Formula(auto) Upgrades:SLP loud mouth Exhaust, 17" Cragers.

Good choice in wheel size, will fit correctly with that 56mm offset. Not a good choice on tires. While they are the correct diameter, they are on the narrow side for a 9.5" wide wheel. While most tire manufacturers will accept a wheel width of 8.0-9.5" on that size tire, they generally "measure" the tire on an 8.5" wide wheel. If you think about it, the overall width of a 9.5" wide wheel is closer to 10.5" when you include the flanges that retain the beads on the wheel, but the section width of a 245 tire is closer to 9.7". The tire is going to look "stretched" on the rim.

One advantage of such a narrow tire is that there's little chance it would rub on anything. On the other hand, a 275/35-18 or a 285/35-18 would fit the wheel better, look much more aggressive, and not rub on anything either.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

thanks. that makes alot of sense.
      Youngin' JP
      1994 Firebird Formula(auto) Upgrades:SLP loud mouth Exhaust, 17" Cragers.

Comment

Working...
      X