Vague Question but looking for help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vague Question but looking for help

I know that this is vague but I have no idea what or where this sound is coming from.

I had my car inspected on thursday and only needed new rear brake cylinders and a new exhaust flange (the one mod that i dont have listed is a stock Z28 muffler if that means anything). I first noticed it as I was going up a hill about 60 MPH, it was a rattling sound possibly coming from the engine that I get at high or low RPMs. The best way to describe it is that it sounds EXACTLY like a spray paint can rolling down the driveway. Sound also seems more prevalant when I have the wheel turned.

I will have it checked this weekend. But ANY speculation would surely help me.

Thank You

EDIT: This sound only occurs when im on the gas. After taking my roomate (who knows his mechanics on a decent rate) on a trip around the block he says it could be something with the drive train.

At this point the car gives me more grief than enjoyment

2002 Firehawk Sold

Can It be your exhaust at all? I know that if im in a high gear going really slow my exhaust Rattles some. Why do you have Z28 exhaust? Maybe do a full Cat-Back with some Flowmasters or something.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
      Can It be your exhaust at all? I know that if im in a high gear going really slow my exhaust Rattles some. Why do you have Z28 exhaust? Maybe do a full Cat-Back with some Flowmasters or something.
      The thing is I got the exhaust of a stock Z28 for 30 bucks and practically welded it on. The car sounds much meaner than before, plus has a better flow.

I just noticed that my power steering fluid is very low. What kind of sound (if any) would be emitted?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

With the car cool and up in the air, with the suspension loaded, bang on the exhaust with your hand. Sometimes things come apart and can rattle within'. ie. Muffler packing or the catalyst inside a converter can separate and make noise. Also, you will be able to see if there are any clearance issues. Something may be close to a suspension or body part causing the rattling noise.
        LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

I also used to have this strang rattle at idle and I did what Norman said, lifted it and loaded the suspension and I found out the Cap right where the wires go into the O2 sensor was what was rattling. Quick fix and has not made the noise ever since.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Update:

It has to be the cat. I went over to the passenger's side and heard it rattling right under where the passengers seat is. I probably need a new cat (i mean the car is at 132K) so Im having it looked at Friday Morning. Ill post how it goes

Thanks for your help!

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Working...
            X