My car is a Piece!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car is a Piece!

Hello everyone... normally cars gets better as the weather gets warmer, not mine tho. Back in Febuarary i noticed a slight misfire in 4th gear around 1800 rpms.... That was it. As time went on the misfires started becoming more prodominate, and more often, throughout any gear. Now they are the worst in the low and the High RPMs, only when the car is warmed up. These problems get worse as the car gets hotter.... 210 and the miss makes the car barely driveable.

So i went and got some NGK TR5's and some MSD 8.5's. Changed out the plugs and wires, and put everything back together. Defintly makes the car pull harder, and smoother throughough all the RPM band. I pulled the car through WOT 3-4 times on a country road, and it seemed fine.

However, as the car got warmer, it started chuggin, and then started full out misfiring again. The car defintly runs alot better... but the problem is still there. Im thinkin OPTI. I have one, slightly used (2K) but it should do the trick. What needs to get pulled to do the opti?? I have a GM service manual, but can i get any pro's input with some tips and tricks. Thank you very much.

BTW. I drive a 1994 formula w/ 84kMI
    1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Remove all the metal boots from your sparkplug wires. I drove mine with those boots for eight years without a problem and then suddenly it seemed almost undriveable - same symptoms as you describe. Pulled those off and it was perfect again.

After checking that off the list, then check your opti.

You have to pull the belt, the air cleaner and intake tube, water pump, harmonic balancer, ignition coil, ignition module. I've done this several times without pulling the fans off so that's optional.

While you have everything off, you should use a new water pump, get a new crank oil seal, water pump drive gear oil seal, and new thermostat. Do it right so you don't have to do it again..... Good luck.
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

since the OPTI im gonna use is slighty used.. is there a way i can check electrical resistance, and other stuff before i put in the time and effort. I would hate to put the new OPTI in and find out it isnt working up to par.

Comment

From what I know, no but im sure some of the other guys will let u know. How do u know it only has 2k on the Opti.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Have you checked the IC Module and the coil? Both can be sensitive to heat buildup, particularly the IC Module, mounted directly to the head.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

ive not check either.... by the time i finshed the plugs and wires i lost most of the daylight... is there a way to check the coils/IC module with a multimeter... Will it even make a differnce if i get readings, because the problem seems to be heat related? Right now im looking at swappin the opti on saturday.

Im not 100% sure on the mileage on the opti. It looks clean and shows very little (if any) signs of wear. The guy i got it from didnt seem like he wanted a ton of money out of the optis, so im assuming he wouldnt have a big reason to lie about the mileage or the condition.

I might convert to the vented opti. This is something i wouldnt do by myself, however i have a close freind of mine who graduated from Wyotech recently and is very knowledgable about f-body's. He is actually the one who tipped me off to this site.

I have both a vented and non vented opti so i may have an extra one in a week or two. If anyone is intrested i'd be able to part w/ it for like 15 bucks plus shipping. I offer no warranty, but will feel confindent when one of the two are in good working order in my car. Ill let you know, and if your intrested maybe someone could get use out of it. I would just give it away, however i was injured on the job a couple months ago, and my employeer (Target) decided to fire me last week. My back is still recovering and 15 bucks may seem kind of arbitrary, however it could cover the cost of my copay for a doctors visit.

Either way... Ill keep everyone up to date, and any input is appreciated. Thank you for the advice up to this point, and in the future.

Comment

quick update.

I went under the hood and found the the #7 wire had fallen off. I have driven the car without problems since i put the wire back on. Granted i havent really gotten on it since then, but all seems to be ok. Im thinking that the wire came off gradually since the misfire got steadly worse. Does that make sense?
              Also, my MSD 8.5 mm wires didnt click onto the plugs, but they made a clicking noise onto the opti, is that common?

Comment

Working...
              X