Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone that knows the 1987 firebird please help - im about to shoot myself!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone that knows the 1987 firebird please help - im about to shoot myself!

ok well the time has come, my motor has finaly craped out on me and what do ya know, im broke. I only have enough cash to have the motor rebuilt but not pulled.. so im trying to pull the motor myself! YAY !!!! NOT REALLY ... so now im stuck on step 32.

32. Unbolt the solenoid valve/hose bracket from
    the left-hand rocker arm cover so it will not be
    damaged when the engine is lifted out of the
    vehickle. Lay the assembly aside....

you see im not totaly stupid when it comes to cars, its just stuff like this. if any one can explain where it is or even better 'take a picture of it from another firebird' that would be AWESOME!

And theres one more...............................

33. Remove the oxygen sensor from the right side
    exhaust manifold....

ok once again im stuck here as well. i personaly cant remember ever seeing an exygen sensor in my life. so if anyone can explain in detail or Picture the parts that would be great!

any help i get will be greatly appreciated

1987 formula firebird
    V8 5.7L
    1987 Formula Firebird
    GM crate 350 5.7L carburated
    MSD, Edlebrock intake and carb, Dynomax headers

Well, I had an 86 Firebird and an 88 TA. I don't know exactly what solenoid/hose assembly they're talking about in step 32, but it should be easy enough to see. The left hand rocker arm cover would also be known as the driver's side valve cover, if that's what's giving you problems. It should be some type of bracket/solenoid bolted or screwed to the valve cover.

As for the oxygen sensor, it will be in the exhaust pipe somewhere in the just before or after the cat. It will look like something the size of a tube of lipstick stuck right into the exhaust pipe with a wire or two going to it. I'll see if I can dig up a photo.

EDIT** Here's a pic of an oxygen sensor:
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Man, Your taking on a pretty big job if you dont even know what an O2 sensor is. Hmm. It might be easier to drop the engine from the bottom instead of using a cherry picker and pull everythiny. THats how we did it on my brothers 96 Z.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

IMO, third gens are pretty easy to take out through the top as long as you have the hood off because half of the engine is not burried under the dash. When I did it, I did not use a manual, I just disconnected everything and marked it with masking tape and a black marker. Or even better, if you have a digital camara, take pictures of it as you take it apart.
        1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Comment

for a third gen its way esier to go out the top than the bottom. Just pull the radiator and hood, disconnect all wires, hoses, lines and engine mounts. Then undo trany or pull trany with engine either way works good. I've done it both ways and if you have a standard its way esier to do on the floor than in the car.

Eric W.

89 Firebird Formula WS6
          Accel/Lingenfelter Super Ram
          6.2L/382.97 ci
          Custom PROM Dyno tuned
          WCT-5 speed
          BW 9-bolt Posi 3.45
          Boss MS 18" Rims
          Headman Headers 1 5/8 Ceramic Coated
          Custom Dual exhaust
          1LE upgrade
          Custom Temperature / Navigation Rear View Mirror