Cracking rotors.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracking rotors.

I have drilled and slotted rotors on my TA, both front and back. This past weekend while I was cleaning my rims I noticed little cracks starting to form from the centers of some of the drilled holes. I was wonder what caused this and what I might do to prevent it. I am guessing it is caused by heat and stress and I can remedy the problem by laying off the brakes, but isn't that what those kind of rotors are designed for?
    1999 Ram Air Trans Am. M6

SFC( not sure what kind), drilled/slotted rotors, K&N air filter, all free mods, 3" Borla cat back exaust, electric exaust cut out, NGK spark plugs, royal purple motor oil, and Zaino .Maybe more. I find more stuff done to it everytime I look at it.

Drilled rotors are notorious for cracking. There are several thread pretaining to this. I've never experienced it with my set, but then again, I'm not rough on my car. Cracking is caused by heat/cooling cycle. I know a lot of the guys on the board recommend stock blank rotors.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

What kind of rotors are they? If they are some cheap brand ones then yes, they can crack. Those things are suppose to handle the stress and wear of heavy brake in like Auto-x and things like that. Unless your stomping the thing every time you come to a stop, then they should not be cracking. Chances are your going to have to replace them before they crack even more and fall apart when your up to speed. Then you'll be in deep trouble.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Cross drilled are notorious for cracking, as Christopher mentioned above. Even expesive Bear rotors go through this....which is why I wouldn't recommend cross drilled for a daily driver. Here's a write up on prevention, getting them "o" treated...http://www.ws6.com/o.htm
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Point is: Why some cross drilled rotors are good over 20-25k like my car set?
          The basic fact is stated: the cross drilled rotors, even the expensive or from famous brands are prone to crack....then
          the variable factor is the driver's braking habits? The enviromental factor where the car is daily driven?
          Definitively I'll never install plain rotors in my car because the fail brake performance in rainy roads.
          Someone would answer these questions?
          I would like to know the answers..interesting matter...

Regards
          dochidalgo
          97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

I would be curious if the transmission has some bearing on the cracking of rotors. An automatic must hold the brakes at a stop where stick cars do not. I'm wondering if after heavy braking how much heat soak influences the tendency to crack. hmmm.....

Comment

alot of the auto-x guys recommend just slotted rotters, not drilled or drilled and slotted. i also think it's from the stop and go from daily driving that causes the cracks, the heating and cooling cycle as mentioned before. in auto-x the brakes don't get much of a chance to cool down because you're using them quite often.

the auto tranny idea might also have some influence as well. but then again maybe not, unless you're on a mostly flat road, even in a stick you're going to be on the brakes, or riding the clutch. i'd rather be on the brakes then burning up a clutch.
              87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

I'm extremely hard on my brakes - no cross-drilled for me . . . . .
                Darrin C
                '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
                X