Clunk over potholes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunk over potholes

Sorry about throwin out so many questions, but you guys are the best. My car has deveolped a noise when driving over pothole and various other types of unforgiving pavement. It is coming from the passenger side front tire, maybe even more so in the middle section of the front end. The ball joints seem to check out fine, and the tie rod ends are new. What can being making this clunking noise. Im taking it in for a qoute, because the pothole that really did the damage took of my pass side exhaust in two spots, (the muffler and the support near the exhaust tip). I'd like to go in there and know what could be wrong, because im sending the bill to the city. Any idea's?? cause im clueless.

1994 formula A4 w/ 84K bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs
    1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Let me know when you figure it out because my'97Z is doing the exact same thing and the noise is driving me nuts!!!!

Comment

You might want to add a "signature" with basic info about your car - model, year, tranny, and major mods - so people can answer your questions. The way you are posting, no one has the slightest idea what kind of car you are talking about.

The User CP button doesn't work, but you can use the quick links to access your profile and add a signature.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

sorry i forgot to list my car... im usually pretty good about making sure its in there.

Comment

Any chance that the covering over or anything involving the cat could be loose?

That was my problem til I fixed it

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

I think I may know what it is, b/c mine makes a clunnking sound when i run over small bumps or on a bump road. I got it looked at along time but have never had the chance to fix it.
            My problem comes from the passenger rear though. It is actually loose spring or bolt in the handbrake system, that has come loose and rattles around when driving over bumps. SOmetimes it sounds like it crunching.

I took my car to a tire place and they took off the tire and looked at the handbrake system and thats what it is. Its really annoying!

Hope this kinda helps.

99 Firebird
            3.8L
            5spd

Comment

Also try looking at your sway bar links. Some times they get rusty and break around the threads. Also look at your transmission mount. If you put too much torque on it, it can rip apart like mine did. I replaced it with a late model one that has a positive stop and never had a problem since.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

If you have the original struts in the car they may be worn out. It will give the car a rough ride and you will hear a clunking noise sometimes. With that many miles it wouldn't hurt to check em out.

Comment

Originally posted by 6089WALLY
                  If you have the original struts in the car they may be worn out. It will give the car a rough ride and you will hear a clunking noise sometimes. With that many miles it wouldn't hurt to check em out.

what should i do to check and see if the noise is coming from the struts. What should they look like visually. Should i put pressure on the front end making the car bounce up and down??

I'm really thinking this might be a worn bushing.. since this is an IL car that is 14 years old

The only question is i dont know where the bushing are located, how to remove or install new ones, etc.

Also i heard that some may be pressed in... if so, that sucks!

Comment

If you have a '94 Formula then you do not have struts, they are shocks. Just FYI.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

any ideas at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X