Idle mixture problem solving.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle mixture problem solving.

Just went 8 rounds with my Carburetor, getting the idle mixture right.
    Most of you guys use FI now so there are no longer problems with carbs.
    This is my race carb the King Demon 1195 cfm. The Holley Dominator 1050 I had previously did the exact same thing.
    What happens is that motors with wild cams have very little vacuum at low speeds and in order to get the car to idle you have to open the throttle blades too much uncovering the transfer slot.
    The cure is to drill holes in your throttle plates so more air is allowed in and you can close the throttle and allow the idle circuit to work. If you can turn your idle screws with no effect you have this problem.
    It's always scary drilling holes in your nice new carb but it's the only way to cure the trouble.
    This one has four corner idling so four holes were necessary. Started with a 1/32 inch drill which had no effect. 7 drill sizes later, removing the carb, taking off the base plate, re drilling, I was finally getting good response from the idle mixture screws and it stopped fouling the plugs while idling. It was fouling them in about 1 minute of running and then the motor would start to miss.
Working...
X