Clutch and electric questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch and electric questions

Hey guys, 2 questions for the forum. First, has anyone else noticed a 'flicker' on the headlights / dash when the engine
    drops below 1k rpm? I checked the alternator and battery and both are putting out their full power. Is it possible that I need to replace my spark plugs and wires? I believe they are the stock ones with 72k miles on em. If so, what brand should i go with?

And second is regarding the clutch. I'm going to be putting a new clutch in the car this year. I dont know what kind I should get though. I do know I was a light flywheel so the car isnt so jerky when down/up shifting. Also I dont know if i should get a stage 1 or 2. I like the feel of the stock, but I would prefer something that I can do burnouts on and not feel bad for the clutch.

Thanks for the advice,

-circut

i cant help you with the cluth but i can tell you that my headlights/dash do the same thing in my 87 T/A and i just replaced the plugs/wires 5 months ago. i dont think that's the problem and my baby only does it when shes at about .5 RPM

Its really no big deal
    87 T/A
    91 vette TPI
    ditched FI
    Edlebrock performer
    Holley 4
    flowmaster cat back
    magnaflow cat

Just got painted black with some gold decals.......Doin burt proud

Comment

I have a spec stage 2 clutch in my car With the aluminum flywheel and it feels just like the stock clutch but it holds a whole lot better. When I ran at the track with the stock clutch it would slip when I went WOT but i don't get any slippage at all with this one. If your engine is more or less stock, I think a stage 2 would be fine for you.
      LOUD2000T/A
      '00 Trans Am M6, K&N filter, Airbox Lid, F.A.S.T. LS-X Intake, Stainlessworks offroad y-pipe, Loudmouth catback, Pro 5.0 shifter, Hypertech programming, 17" Torque Thrust II wheels, 12.97@113; '87 Monte Carlo SS; '91 Sonoma V6 4x4.

Comment

I have A SPEC Stage 1 and I personally think its horrible. It chatters like a mother. It could be it was damaged during install but I dont know. I will tell you this, that clutch grabs extremely hard when I go to the Track and mess around on the road. If your pretty stock or even modded go for like a LS6 clutch. Make sure you replace the Slave. As for the lights, Im not to sure. My car does not do that.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

check the grounding strap under the hood
          1997 Pontiac For Sale: Comp T/A, silver, 6-speed, T-Tops,
          Eibach Sportline 2" lowering springs, K&N filter, 5% limo tints
          Airfoil, Hypertech Programmer III, 3.73 w/Eaton diff

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            I have A SPEC Stage 1 and I personally think its horrible. It chatters like a mother. It could be it was damaged during install but I dont know. I will tell you this, that clutch grabs extremely hard when I go to the Track and mess around on the road. If your pretty stock or even modded go for like a LS6 clutch. Make sure you replace the Slave. As for the lights, Im not to sure. My car does not do that.
            Curious question, did you have your flywheel resurfaced before you put the SPEC clutch in? If you did and it was Blanchard ground that is your problem not the clutch. It has to be turned on a lathe.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
              Curious question, did you have your flywheel resurfaced before you put the SPEC clutch in? If you did and it was Blanchard ground that is your problem not the clutch. It has to be turned on a lathe.
              I did have the Flywheel resurfaced at the local Machine Shop where I take all my flywheels to get cut. So I know that was not the issue. I also get a slight vibration when it goes from 1400-2000rpms so My guess is that is was not Balanced correctly. Its horrible im telling you. In traffic its such a pain and extremely tiring.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
                I did have the Flywheel resurfaced at the local Machine Shop where I take all my flywheels to get cut. So I know that was not the issue. I also get a slight vibration when it goes from 1400-2000rpms so My guess is that is was not Balanced correctly. Its horrible im telling you. In traffic its such a pain and extremely tiring.
                That's not the point. A Mustang will not have a problem with a Blanchard ground flywheel but a F-body will. I don't understand why But I can tell you from experience it absolutely will. I'd like to find out if a Cobra with a 6 speed does too to find out if it has something to do with the BW6spd. Just because they have done them for you in the past on other cars doesn't mean it will work on yours. I pulled my trans 3 times in a month trying to fix it. I ended up buying a centerforce flywheel and it fixed it.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

Comment

Check out my posting here http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthre...ight=blanchard

Comment

SLP or SPEC then??

From what I'm hearing it sounds like the Stage 2 is the way to go.. Keep in mind my car is bone stock, and I really like the way it drives currently. I'll probably go ahead and get the flywheel resurfaced. I'll make sure to tell the machine shop that it needs to be resurfaced with a lathe, not the blanchard method.

Also, does anyone know when it would be time to replace the brake fluid that disenages the clutch? After driving a friends, I noticed that my clutch grabs really far up. If you image the clutch has a 4 inch travel, it usually engages half an inch to the top. I looked at the color of the brake fluid in the master / slave cylinders, and its pretty much black.

is flushing the clutch system a hard job to do myself?

And does anyone know if the 02 LS1 camaro has a dual mass or single mass flywheel?

Thanks,

-Erik

Comment

Yeah I would just flush out the system. Remember that if you disconnect the Slave, its going to be hard to get the pedal back up. To flush the system, its going to take 2 people. One to pump and one to open the valve. Do it before you put the tranny back up b/c if not its a pain to stick your hand up there. I changed mine and I noticed a little difference. The drive mod helps alot too.
                      Eddie
                      2000 M6 Trans Am
                      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                      X