header A.i.R hook up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• header A.i.R hook up

Hey guys. I just got a new pair of Lt headers and off road y-pipe for my 93 z. The problem is that pacesetter dosen't make them with the A.I.R tube at the rear of the header for my year. What i was wondering is can i get away with some AN fittings that summit sells with some of the rubber/braided tubing. The heat rating is around 350 degrees max. I was thinking of tweeking the factory line so it straighter and running this new line between the valve cover and the intake and to a 90 degree fitting to the header hook up. I'm just looking to keep this car legal for resale or if i run over 5,000 miles. I'm usually exempt year to year. Thanks for any in put. Lew

I'm not an expert on emissions laws, but I think LTs are going to fail you just about anywhere. I don't think having an AIR hookup will save you. It depends on the locality, of course. A lot of places won't let you relocate the cat, and I believe LTs do that.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

As noted, there is no way you can be "legal" with long tubes. They relocate the cat, and that is a violation of Federal law. You compounded the issue by getting an "off road Y-pipe" and eliminating the cat. Its not likely the system will pass a visual or a tailpipe inspection.

Since you don't have a cat, you don't need the AIR system. Your 93 is unique in many ways, and one way is that the EGR and AIR systems are combined. The connection on the #8 primary serves as both the EGR riser tube and the AIR feed line. So, now you have a 4th non-conformance, no functioning EGR system. If you were to add a connection for the EGR riser tube, it uses a single bolt through a small oval flange, and the tube has to be metal since its handling 1,000*F exhaust.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I know the longtubes move the cats back and that dosen't conform. I only drive the car 1,000 miles max a year. I always ran a off-road pipe on my 96 ss and had no problem when being under 5,000 miles. But it had shorty headers and i had the legal pipes with high flow cats if it ever was an issue. The main reason i have this set up is to work with future head and cam set up. So my next question is should i just remove everything. I kind of wanted everything in place so if the hood was ever open in the hopes it would look some what legal. My inspection guy is pretty easy on me. Also i thought my car had a separate egr hook up on the rear tube?

Comment

Your AIR pump supplies two lines. One goes to the drivers side header, on the side of the engine. The other one wraps around the back of the engine, goes through a check valve that prevents exhaust from flowing back to the AIR system, then tees into the EGR riser line to the back of the intake manifold, and continues to the passenger side header.

Nothing that makes LT's the only solution to high HP. I'm putting 800HP through a set of emissions legal mid-length AS&M's - although they have been "slightly" modified to flow straight back on each side of the engine into a true dual exhuast system.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fred actually after installing everything to my surprise a cat can be installed and it will be in the stock location. I will have to mount to the end of the header and the y-pipe has a straight section leading to the mount that the cat also used. I'll have the stock cat, since it's gutted modded to fit to stay legal. I posted a fix that i came up with for the a.i.r tube extension. Thanks for the help and input. I finished at around 1:30 to 2:00 am.

Comment

Working...
            X