T-top centre seal rusty

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-top centre seal rusty

The centre seal between the two T-tops on my 87 Firebird is rusty (the bit slightly lower than the rubber seal), and I frequently get bits go in my eyes with the roof out.

I've seen new seals for sale on the net, however what are the chances that its just the seal strip thats rusty? If I attack it and take it out, is there a chance that the structure underneath will require welding, or is it usually just the seal that rusts?

Usually its under the seals where water collects that it starts rusting. If they are too far gone to revitalize with WD-40 or something I'd just get new ones from Softseal. Try the catalog places. Classic industries etc.

LT4KM, 160' TS, MAF ends, TB-BP, GMPP 1.6 R/R, SLP CAI, LCA, Adj. tierod, BMR tower brace, 17x9"F/R, 275/40R17 GY F1 tires. WS6 Muffler, LS1 DS. 21mm rear sway bar. Soon to be LT4 heads, intake, & HOT cam

Comment

I was worried that if I take the seal (and plate that holds it) off, that there may be rust in the metalwork underneath. ie, the body of the car. Can anyone tell me if this is likely?

Comment

Am I likely to take off the rusty seal and find pristine metalwork underneath? Will there be anything left to screw into? What are the options if the metal is rusty? Repair panels?

I know it seems logical to just take it off and have a look, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get it back on again. At the moment although the seal plate is rusty, it doesn't actually leak. I just get rust in my eyes when I take out the roof!

Comment

I have an '86 G-body, and the center T-top section is rusted on mine as well. I once tried to see how it all came apart, and see if I could get replacement parts/panels. Either it is just too rusted to take apart, or it is a cutting/welding job, because I was bending instead of removing. I would recommend that you leave it alone for now, until you are ready to really dig into it. Maybe there is some stuff that you could spray on to stop if from rusting for now; I remember my Dad had something like that. Or just black spray paint maybe. A body shop might be able to shed some more light onto this.
          '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

www.thirdgen.org search for it, they will have the answer u need plus the places where u can pick it up
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
            X