Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SES light on while driving off at idle??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES light on while driving off at idle??

95 formula a4,

tonight the SES light came on while driving it stays on while driving, but when i am stopped at traffic lights for longer with the engine idling it goes away and comes back on as soon as i accelerate. The engine doesnt seem to have lost any power.
    What do you think might be, i have no way to scan it, and it is a 95 so obd1 with obd2 connector, and no way to flash the codes as in pre 95 cars thanks gm

I have put a new k&n filter about 500 miles ago, do you think it might be the oil from it contaminated the maf?
    93 t/a A4 3.23s
    95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
    99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
    99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
    97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
    93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
    00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Actually, 1993 was the last year you could flash the codes on the SES light by shorting the ALDL pins. You need to get it scanned. There are used OBD-I scanners available, like the Auto Xray for less than $100. Some came with the 12-pin to 16-pin adapters for the 95's, or if they didn't, Shoebox has a photo of how to jumper the 12-pin OBD-I scanner cable to a 16-pin 95 connector.

Or, you can get free downloads of OBD-I scanning software - TTS DataMaster or FreeScan - and use a cable ($50-100) to connect from a laptop to your PCM.

Without scanning, you are only guessing.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

i know i m just guessing, i was hoping someone who had the same problem could tell me what was wrong with theirs...light goes of while at idle , on when revving up or driving, off again at idle

It will take a while until i find a scanner, there are some on ebay but the ebay in america, and not over here , and most of them dont want to ship to europe either ..couldnt find a cable usb to obd1 .. But i was thinking, if the light comes on when i rev the engine up, then it must be something with the fuel in the exhaust , maybe the o2 sensors, maybe maf is dirty and too much fuel goes into the chamber, and the o2 sensors pick that up and illuminate the ses light? just a guess, i most probably am wrong, but still what do you think?
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Possible. Or could also be a sytem that only works when the engine is not idling, like EGR or EVAP. Could be the engine getting an irrational input from a sensor, like a TPS sensor with a dead spot in the winding. May be realted to the transmission shifting. Could be a faulty vehicle speed sensor. Maybe a faulty IC Module that overheats under load. Maybe a loose connection on something that wiggles when the engine flexes under load.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Working...
        X