Excessive play in steering??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive play in steering??

Well, I didn't JUST notice this, but it is something I always forget to ask about. When I start my car up in the morning and take off, I notice a lot of "play" in the steering. Without sounding too goofy here , while driving straight, I can turn the steering wheel in both directions with a good amount of "turn" before the car actually responds. I don't have any problems with the car pulling off to one particular direction while driving, and this issue seems to improve a little when the car is up to temp. With 110K on the clock, might I be looking at suspension problems/wear? Any help greatly appreciated!
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

How much play are u getting? Put ur hand at the 12 o'clock position on the wheel and then turn to the right and where would u say it starts to respond?
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
      How much play are u getting? Put ur hand at the 12 o'clock position on the wheel and then turn to the right and where would u say it starts to respond?
      1:45pm.....and 37 seconds I apologize, I just had to.

Really, about the 1-2 O'clock. O.K., I know that's a huge difference in between, probably NOT quite 2, but the key is that I notice a big difference in the steering from when the car is cold and when it is warmed up. I do know that any car in it's stock state will have some amount of play, but I can tell you that it did not do this last year. I'm just assuming some of my steering components are starting to wear out. Probably typical since I do mostly city driving.
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Check your rag joint, which is made of hardened rubber. If it needs replacing, you can get a rag joint eliminator, or an LS1 assembly that doesn't contain a rag joint. The rag joint is intended to ease the vibrations in the steering wheel, but since it's rubber and exposed to heat, it can probably wear out after so many miles.
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

flush the fluid, it may be a lil thicker so it takes a bit be4 anything happens. like that on a 442 we have at my job, the pump is worn so it takes till it warms up be4 the p/s works like it should
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

There are several places that start getting a little play and when you add them all up, could result in alot of play. Start by ruling out the steering column. Have an assistant reach under the hood and try to rotate the upper steering shaft while you hold the wheel. Any play will show up. I suspect that the first part is OK, it's hard to wear out the upper column. Next is the rag joint that couples the upper and lower column. It's a rubberized fabric ring that is compressed and riveted together along with a universal joint. once the rubber doughnut starts to lose it's clearance and flexes too much, play will easily be seen. You can either replace with a solid one that is a conversion from unbalanced engineering or do a factory section replacement as they don't offer just the doughnut. Past there, you go to the rack assembly which is really non serviceable and would require replacement if faulty. From there, you have the inner and outer tie rods that go from the rack to the spindles. Any wear in those joints would add up to steering play. Since you mentioned it doesn't pull, my best guess would be that the play exists somewhere from the rack back to the upper column. Be advised that I changed out everything which really firmed things up but low and behold.... never eliminated the small amount of play I had. There will always be a small amount, there has to be or the car gets really darty on center.

Comment

Working...
            X