Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are good places to work on your car...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are good places to work on your car...

Hey everyone,
    If you dont have a garage & you need to work on your car, where would be the best place to wrench. I wouldnt mind paying rent. We are talking a month maximium. Are there any garages that rent out bays? I dont even need a lift. Just a place thats secure, indoors & I wont get in trouble for making a mess while I work.

Thanks, MarkB
    No F-Body right now

Wow, that's a toughy. In some cities there are places that rent out bays. I've never seen one in my area but have seen them in AZ and CA. On military bases, they offer enlisted people a mechanics shop complete with tools and it is free of charge. I saw this while visiting my buddy in AZ.

Seems like the best bet is to find a buddy with a spare bay in his/her garage.
    LS15 Power! Another LSx engine coming soon.

Comment

How about a you storage place? A lot have roll up doors accessible from outside.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
        How about a you storage place? A lot have roll up doors accessible from outside.
        Many years ago before I had a garage, with any serious project I simply rented a garage sized personal storage unit.

Comment

Man I honestly Have never heard about this. I know here In California when I was younger they passed a law or something about working outside b/c of the hazardous Materials. I know here you can not "Work" on a Car in the storage units. Then again there is not that many Auto storage units, No need in So Cal. Your best bet is to Ask a buddy if they have some space on the side of their house. Even if its Outside, As long as there is like an over hang to cover you. I don't know if there is snow where you are, and that's why you want it indoors.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I kept the car in a storage unit like the one you guys are describing during the winter. I was able to swap the intake manifold & do a few other small repairs, but I dont know if I would get away with what I need to do (Engine Swap) The storage unit I got was only a couple feet longer than my car so the engine hoist would stick out of the bay by a considerable amount.

Hmm...

Anyone know if New Jersey or Pennsylvania laws allow garage bays to be rented out? Im almost sure that NJ probably wont allow it. Everyone here is so lawsuit happy.
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Thats the problem. The Insurence Issue in the case that you get hurt is insane. That would be bold of a shop taking that liability. I honestly dont see it happening. Were my old man used to work, we could not even let the customer come in to get something out of the car b/c of that.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The best thing to do would be to find an independent auto repair shop, ie buds auto repair , And just ask him to rent/lease you a stall in his garage on a weekly basis. As long as there is some kind of contract, then you should be set. The shop owner could then put you on his insurance policy if he wanted to. We have leased out a stall before like this...
                Greg W. in West Michigan
                1992 Formula WS6-A/R Rims, Stock L05 swap, Former Abuse Victim
                1983 Z28-Parts car- *Sold*
                1984 Z28-305 HO Auto *Sold*
                1986 Camaro-V-6 5Spd *Sold*
                1984 Camaro-V-6 Auto *Sold*
                <Motor out

Comment

Good thinking... I will try that. There are tons on shops around here that do hardly any business. Im sure they could spare a bay.
                  No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
                  X