front caliper threads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front caliper threads

Hey i can't seem to find a 11mm x 1.50 pitch heli coil anywhere or an oversize bolt. Any ideas on a fix. The threads are completely gone. I have one more place that had alot of heli coils i'm checking on the way home tomorrow. It just happens to be an in between size . 10 & 12 mm are avalivable @ the local NAPA. The guy there told me i'd probably have to order a whole install kit which would be pricey. I checked the local mc and atv shop to see were he gets his repair kits. But he goes through Napa or a parts distributor and would have to order a kit also. My luck. Any ideas or help would be great.

They don't make a M11 helicoil. Bernhill Bolt is one who makes helicoils.
    http://www.barnhillbolt.com/index.ph...stid=528873852
    What size bolt was in it?
    I can't imagine a thread being so worn out that a helicoil won't put threads in it for the helicoil.
    Another option if you scroll down the page are keenserts. They have a M10 keensert.
    But you really have to use the same size bolt or the caliper will move. So what size is the original bolt?

Another is http://www.emhart.com

Another option would be to replace the knuckle. I wish I hadn't thrown mine away. It might be an easier option.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

So is the Spindle Bolt that holds the Bracket to the Caliper Stripped or is it the threads on that Bracket that Is Bolted to the Spindle. If its just the Bracket, hit up the Junk yard and see if maybe ones around.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

No its actually the spindle that the bolt threads into that stripped. And the bolt thread is a 11mmx 1.50 pitch.

Comment

Is this the part?

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Yes thats the bolt. Which i bought new. But the mount it threads into is the problem. They offer oversize repair bolts but the local store didn't find one for my year. That one you show was cheaper than the dealer.

Comment

It's gonna be hard to find an oversized bolt that won't inhibit the way the front calipers perform. That bolt also acts as a sliding guide for the inner part of the caliper so the bolt also has to fit through that bushing perfectly and be smooth. You may have to get that part that the bolt screws into from a junkyard.
              Darrin C
              '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
              07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Originally posted by 97LT1Z28
                It's gonna be hard to find an oversized bolt that won't inhibit the way the front calipers perform. That bolt also acts as a sliding guide for the inner part of the caliper so the bolt also has to fit through that bushing perfectly and be smooth. You may have to get that part that the bolt screws into from a junkyard.
                I have to agree. And to add if the threads are not in the bracket perpendicular the slide won't be parallel to the other slide and that will make the caliper stick on the slide and cause the brakes to not wear correctly and it might cause them to drag causing the car to pull to that side.

If I were you I would get a new knuckle. Maybe you should consider upgrading the brakes to the LS1 design. Here is a picture of the LT1 brakes on the left vs. the LS1 brakes on the right.
                http://www.claire-marie.net/LT1vsLS1_brakes.JPG
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
                X