Transmission Noise.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Noise.

I noticed last night that my tranny makes noise while driving slow. At Steady speed around 45 mph at about 1300rpms if I punch it I can hear the transmission like just regular mechanical harmonics. It just sounds a bit to loud to me. The transmission fluid was changed out and replaced with new Regular Transmission Fluid. From what I understand thats what it is suppose to take. Can the Fluid have something to do with this?

Thanks guys
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Originally posted by ConElite
    I noticed last night that my tranny makes noise while driving slow. At Steady speed around 45 mph at about 1300rpms if I punch it I can hear the transmission like just regular mechanical harmonics. It just sounds a bit to loud to me. The transmission fluid was changed out and replaced with new Regular Transmission Fluid. From what I understand thats what it is suppose to take. Can the Fluid have something to do with this?

Thanks guys
    I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about. I believe it's the Dexron III ATF normaly used. I usually hear my 5-speed transmission winding over the engine and exhaust sounds. Could it be that you're just more conscious of it after the change?
    Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
    2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

could be normal nosie coming up and being ampified thru the shifter
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

You have an M6? Do the manual transmissions use the same fluid as the automatics?
        '96 Firebird Formula, LT1, stock, automatic

Comment

The T56 uses standard ATF, so unless you're low on fluid I don't think that would be it. Can you give a better description of the noise you're hearing? Does it change with motor speed? Vehicle speed? Any gear in particular?

If you're hearing a sort-of groaning sound, that's actually semi-normal. The T56 does not like heavy loads at low RPMs. That could be it.
          Steve
          79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
          87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
          93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
          http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
            The T56 uses standard ATF, so unless you're low on fluid I don't think that would be it. Can you give a better description of the noise you're hearing? Does it change with motor speed? Vehicle speed? Any gear in particular?

If you're hearing a sort-of groaning sound, that's actually semi-normal. The T56 does not like heavy loads at low RPMs. That could be it.
            I'm using some standard ATF. Its not low on fluid. I only have about 5000 miles on the new fluid. It pretty much happens when Its under load. So if I'm cruising its fine but if I'm in about 5th or 6th gear around 1500rpms or less and punch it, the noise comes through. Right when you said Steve about the T56 not liking the heavy load, that hit the spot. If it goes above 1800 rpm's It does tend to go away. Plus I do have that short Shift lever that is alot thicker than stock so that could be amplifying the noise. Its just the normal Drivetrain Harmonics just seemed a little louder than expected.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If its a deep, groaning sound, then its normal...or its me getting up in the morning, one of the two lol
              Steve

Comment

If its a deep, groaning sound, then its normal...or its me getting up in the morning, one of the two lol
                Sounds good. You think it will make a difference if I do put some Dexron III. Im thinking it would not. If I put some Transmission Additive... I dont know. I'll just deal with it.

Good one Steve.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Nope, the groaning is indicitive of the T56 from everything I've read. Dexron III one of the standard ATF fluids available, with Mercon (Ford) being the other one that comes to mind. Did you have a shop change the fluid or did you do it yourself? Chances are it is a Dexron III fluid, otherwise I'd imagine the tranny would be making more noises than just the standard groan.

Speaking of groans, its hard getting old...and I'm even that old. Ugh lol
                  Steve

Comment

Nope, the groaning is indicitive of the T56 from everything I've read. Dexron III one of the standard ATF fluids available, with Mercon (Ford) being the other one that comes to mind. Did you have a shop change the fluid or did you do it yourself? Chances are it is a Dexron III fluid, otherwise I'd imagine the tranny would be making more noises than just the standard groan.

Speaking of groans, its hard getting old...and I'm even that old. Ugh lol
                    I dont have anyone touch my car.. everything done to my car was done by my 2 hands..lol... so you think it matters?
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Think what matters? The trans. fluid? Check the bottle, I bet its Dexron III fluid. If not, get it out A.S.A.P.
                      Steve

Comment

oh man, Yeah Ill check when I get home. It was Valvoline ATF- Im hoping its Dexron III. So I'll go check right after work.
                        Eddie
                        2000 M6 Trans Am
                        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

if its ATF+3/4 thats Mopar stuff. i thought Dexron was up to IV now? could be worng tho. a guy who has an 80s golf couldnt get into 2nd gear at all, and he put some Lucas MTF in there and after a couple miles, 2nd gear was back. ill ask him next time i see him if it was Lucas
                          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                            if its ATF+3/4 thats Mopar stuff. i thought Dexron was up to IV now? could be worng tho. a guy who has an 80s golf couldnt get into 2nd gear at all, and he put some Lucas MTF in there and after a couple miles, 2nd gear was back. ill ask him next time i see him if it was Lucas
                            GM has Dexron-VI now, which is supposed to be better than III and compatible with III cars (f-bodies). Does anyone know about Mobil 1 ATF for manual transmissions? I think Mobil 1 ATF is made to Dexron-III spec. I'm not sure how this compares to VI. I'm considering the Mobil 1 if it's good for the trans. Any opinions?
                            Matt

1998 Firebird 5-speed
                            2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4-door 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                            X