Just another problem...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another problem...

Well, here goes another!! This is really getting old, but I guess I should expect with age...
    For the past few days the T/A has been intermittently (sp?) giving me this problem-I have parked the car to run into a store or such, when I come back out and start it up, it stumbles and stalls; start it up again, stumbles (more like acting as if it were not getting enough fuel or choking itself), and if I give it some gas in about 5-10 seconds it will clear right up like there was never a problem. I have no issues while it is in gear or driving down the road, smooth as can be, only a problem just starting her up (again, intermittently)
    Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I first thought fuel pump, but it clears right up and I doesn't do it while driving. My father suggested something with the throttle body? I just don't know!
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Hmmm...doesn't really sound like a fuel problem or a problem with the TB, but I could be wrong. Things to check would be fuel pressure, sticking TB and possbily loose connections at sensors like the MAF. Do you notice the gas pedal being unusually firm when it stumbles after start? Any irregular idle at all (whether feel or watching the tach)? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Just some stuff that pops into mind. Hope this helps.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Originally posted by Z Ya Later
      Hmmm...doesn't really sound like a fuel problem or a problem with the TB, but I could be wrong. Things to check would be fuel pressure, sticking TB and possbily loose connections at sensors like the MAF. Do you notice the gas pedal being unusually firm when it stumbles after start? Any irregular idle at all (whether feel or watching the tach)? When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Just some stuff that pops into mind. Hope this helps.
      Thanks!
      Well, as far as the fuel filter, it was changed about a year and a half ago.
      I don't pay any attention to the gas pedal, but I think it's fine.
      I did watch the RPMs, and they jumped around a little because the engine was wanting to trying to stay running but stalled anyways. The engine was not surging or majorly jumping around in idle.
      No engine light ever came on either, I wish it did, but nodda. So if it were sensors, I would just assume it would throw a code and make the SES light come on.

The only thing I can think of that I did recently was take the air filter out to check it, and maybe I bumped something somewhere up to the TB?
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

Comment

Pay attention to the tach when the car is running normally and see what it does. Its possible its the Opti (heaven forbid), but it could be something else as well. Double-check all your connections just to be sure.
        Steve
        79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
        87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
        93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
        http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Be sure the intake elbow is seated properly. If it's not on all the way, it could be letting un-metered air in which could also contribute to the problem.
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Working...
          X