Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to know what everyone thinks!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to know what everyone thinks!!!!!

Hi! I'm kind of new at this so excuse me if I don't use the right terms or something... My coolant fan in my car isn't comming on when the car gets hot and its making it overheat what can I do to fix it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Check for a bad fuzz. Do you know how to use a test light. To check for voltage.Hope this helps.
    Blazer

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer
      Check for a bad fuzz. Do you know how to use a test light. To check for voltage.Hope this helps.
      Blazer
      I hate bad fuzz! LOL
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Give us a hint.... year of car, engine, etc.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Okay its a 88 RS with a 2.8 liter eng. What is bad fuzz?

Comment

I think I know what a test light is....Its used to see if the wires are hot or not right?

Comment

Originally posted by blackcamarochick
              I think I know what a test light is....Its used to see if the wires are hot or not right?
              Its called a Circuit Tester. There is some different kinds but the best one is one with a grounding wire that you put somewhere on the chassis (with ground) and then a probe coming out of the handle. When the circuit is complete the light turns on. Something that everyone should have in their toolbox.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Okay its a 88 RS with a 2.8 liter eng. What is bad fuzz?
                LOL. He meant fuse. That's the southern accent getting in the way of the keyboard.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Alright!!! I checked the fuses and there fine.... and I changed the relay....annndddd...... I hooked the fan straight up to the battery and it came on ...... well I had help on that one... so I know its not completely broke... how complicated is the tester light? Can I go buy one anywhere?

Comment

how complicated is the tester light? Can I go buy one anywhere?
                    Any autoparts store. Get a good one, not one of those little cheap ones, it will break real quick. They are very straight forward and come in handy very much. I have a Snap-on one that was like $60. Had it for over 10 years and still works great. All it is, is an aligator clip that you put on some ground in the car and pock away.
                    Eddie
                    2000 M6 Trans Am
                    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Okay I'll check it out!

Comment

you can always just install a manual fan switch. Since you know the fans to be working hook them up to a direct powers source (the same source you used to test the fans most likely) in the cabin via a switch... add a ground. And now you will be able to turn on the fans whenever you please. We did this to my buddies 84 trans am... pretty simple, and as far as i know popular. Im sure someone should have a write up or something either on this forum or on the web.
                        1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

I owned a 2.8 liter 1987 camaro for ten years. When I had that same problem, I think it was the coolant temp sending unit - not the one that sends the temp reading to the guage, it's the one that turns the fan on when the coolant temp reaches hot temperatures. I think it's that sensor that's screwed into the water pump or real close to it.
                          Darrin C
                          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

you know what sucks? i havent been on here for a while because ive tried alot of this stuff ...... nothing has worked, its just been trial and error. so my last thing is wiring a toggle switch... well i did that too and the wires got super super hot what am i doing wrong? do i need to put a relay in between the wire and the switch to maybe kick the power down a knoch? i have no clue about what im doing!!!!! please help me!!!!! and thank you every one for your previous advice!!!!

Comment

if u went form the battery to the switch tot he fan, a) u need like 10 gauge wire, 2) the fans draw about 30 amps when they kick on. 3) u need to wire in a relay or risk a fire. also make sure the fan relay has power and is working. try to get a new one, install it, and if that dont fix it, take it back out and return it. is the temp gauge working? if so then look for a sensor thats in the coolant passage. theres on in the head which is for the gauge, there should be another one. also pick up a 82-92 f-body camar/firebird repair book at the auto parts store. it will help u out alot. if theres one thing i hate, is ppl throwing in a switch to "fix" a problem. its prob a bad sensor.
                              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X