Im praying for my opti tonight...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im praying for my opti tonight...

You know how the whole east coast is getting hammered with rain and snow. Well on the way home from West chester today and I hit a big puddle. After filling up with gas I went to start my car and it didnt start. Tried again...nothing. Then I gave it some gas and it fired up. After an 1hr. ride home I shut off in the driveway and it has trouble starting again. Let it sit for 10 min an then it started with no problem. Do you guys think with these symptoms it will be okay??? I would hate to swap that thing out again.
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Welp, i went out again and it started on the second try. Im convinced it the starter. Because the starter cranks for about 1/4 of a second and then just spins not turning the motor. It barely turns the engine over. If it was the opti the car would just keep cranking with no fire. Should i take the starter out and dry it out and check the elec. wires?
    1996 Z-28 6 speed, Airfoil, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster muffler, Motive 3.73 gears, BBK shorty headers, cut-out, LS1 Driveshaft, no power options (Rare), Prothane tranny mount, MSD 8.5mm wires, Accel U-Groove Plugs, Chrome hurst short throw, TB Bypass, ES Torque arm mount, BMR subframe connectors (weld-in), Lt4 Knock Module, Descreened MAF, '02 SS wheels, Pioneer HU, MTX & JL amps, 2 12" JBL's, T-Top Conversion!

Comment

I would take it out and give it a good clean, especially where the brushes touch the rotor contacs, with very fine sandpaper, it worked on mine. Check the solenoid for cracks ( on mine the plastic at the top was cracked and the solenoid wouldnt engage), you can even test it while off the car

And since yours is a 6 speed and not an automatic it will be a lot easier than doing that on an automatic car because of the transmission cooling lines. Should be pretty easy , just remember to disconnect the battery unless you want to weld the spanner to the car haha
      93 t/a A4 3.23s
      95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
      99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
      99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
      97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
      93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
      00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

I was just thinking, The starter would have absolutly nothing to do with the engine turning off. You can have 2 problems on your hands. The opti would more than likly be the cause for it turning off and if the engine turns over then the starter dis-engages but still spins then the Solinoid is shoot. I have been through about 1.5 feet of water. Half the engine was under water and My engine still cracked and started. It shut off b/c of my CAI in the bottom part of my bumper and the filter was under water, ha ha ha.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

water-locked maybe????? (or is it called hydrolocked?)
          1994 formula A4 w/ 84,XXX MI, bone stock except MSD wires and NGK TR5 plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Johnyd2
            water-locked maybe????? (or is it called hydrolocked?)
            The Starter can Not stop the engine unless it gets stuck Engaged which I never heard of happening.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Finally got the starter out. The studs which come out of the solenoid were all lose. Not the connections, the studs on the unit. Somehting must have got messed up in their. Im dropping it off at a special electric place, the guy knows Lt1 starters very well and is fixing it for me.

Comment

I think its time for a new one...unfortunately nobody seems to sell just the solenoid for them. even if repaired i would still doubt the reliability, as it could break anytime, but at least your car is a M6 and if needs to can be pushed started
                93 t/a A4 3.23s
                95 Formula A4 2.73s >>>>93 t/a 3.23 , !AIR, !cat, !A/C, hotchkis lowering springs, kyb adj shocks, DD
                99 Camaro z28 a4, 2.73, !AIR, !A/C
                99 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 v6, red
                97 3.8 v6 A4 camaro, hardtop
                93 Camaro Z28 M6, hotcam kit, 150 shot, twin plate clutch, eibach pro kit and bilstein shocks, swaybars etc
                00 audi a6 4.2 40 valve v8

Comment

Originally posted by blackthunder50
                  Finally got the starter out. The studs which come out of the solenoid were all lose. Not the connections, the studs on the unit. Somehting must have got messed up in their. Im dropping it off at a special electric place, the guy knows Lt1 starters very well and is fixing it for me.
                  Get a new one. Your better off.
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                  X