lt4 hot cam kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lt4 hot cam kit

I found an LT4 Hot Cam Kit on summit racing for $569. it comes with the cam,rockers,springs and almost everything i'd need i think. i heard some clips of an lt1 with this and it sounds good it has a nice lope to it but not very lopy. so my question is would this be a good choice for my car??? and what else would i need for installation? timing chain..lifters..? thanks!
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

everything you would need comes with the kit. the only thing you would have to have done is get the valve springs installed if you can't do it yourself. I'm not sure how the lt1 heads are setup, but on the L98 heads from a 3rd gen, you have to have them machined to accept the larger springs. you might not need that with the lt1 heads, you'd have to look into it. I doubt the kit comes with gaskets either, you'd need new gaskets.
    87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

I was for someone who knows for sure to chime in but I don't think the LT4 hot cam is compatible with the non vented opti in your 94. I think you would have to upgrade to the vented opti in the 95-97 which requires changing the timing cover too.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

crap all those little things that the kit doesnt tell you about. well if that is so then i would be spending way more money than i can afford..soo sorry for all the questions but does anyone know what would be a good set up for my car(cam,rockers,springs,etc) that i can get without changing out the opti or dealing with the heads??? by the way i'm looking for the most performance and biggest cam setup i can do without ported heads..thank you
        1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

Technical Notes: The LT4 camshaft P/N 24502586 was designed to be used
          in a number of different engines. Therefore, the following change may
          need to be made to allow for correct assembly of the engine: For LT1
          and L98 engines 1995 and before, the dowel pin in the end of the
          camshaft must be pushed in so extension from end of cam is .30+/-.01",
          the same as the production part. For 1996 LT1 and LT4 engines, the
          dowel pin is in the correct position, extending .620" from the end of
          the camshaft. This camshaft has a fuel pump lobe.

i run the lt4 hotcam in my 87 L98 motor with the dowel pin pushed in and it works perfect. sounds like that's all you'll have to do.

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Its a really nice mild cam that makes pretty decent power. Mine easily passed emissions and also returned pretty decent fuel mileage. Also ran 12.4 in my WS6 with all emission stuff hooked up and functional. Long tubes and no cats would have netted at least a 12.2.

You will need to get it tuned to get the full effect of the swap.
            Rob
            04 GTO

Comment

Correct on using the LT4 cam in a 93-94.... only thing that is different is the dowel pin length. You can't go the other way.... vented Opti on a 93-94 cam, because the pilot hole in the end of the camshft is too small for the pilot shaft on the vented Opti.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Alright so this means i would have to change to a vented opti? That would mean ALOT more money than i have right now. Is there any other cam options out there that would be better bang for the buck?

Comment

No... go back and read what I said. You can put a 95-97 cam in a 93-94 engine with an unvented Opti with no problem, other than shortening the dowel pin.

You can not put a vented Opti on a 93-94 cam because the pilot hole in the cam is too small.
                  Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Alright i just read it wrong, so my non-vented opti will work fine. what other cam options would be a better bet than the hot cam? i want to do it right the first time, and not have to go back into the engine because i'm not satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by RICEATER94Bird
                      Alright i just read it wrong, so my non-vented opti will work fine. what other cam options would be a better bet than the hot cam? i want to do it right the first time, and not have to go back into the engine because i'm not satisfied.
                      that all depends on what your goals for the motor and the car are.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
                        that all depends on what your goals for the motor and the car are.

Which is why I asked in your last thread, what is the use of your car, dd, track car, etc......
                        '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
                        '00 T/A Silver
                        '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

well my goal is to get the most horsepower for the money..i dont plan on spending over $2k. i also dont plan on porting my heads as of now, just the cam, rockers, lifters, etc. i want to gain at least 50 from the mods too. it wont be a commuter car either so driveabilty wont be a major issue. so with that said, what size cam and all the other components would you reccomend?? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RICEATER94Bird
                            well my goal is to get the most horsepower for the money..i dont plan on spending over $2k. i also dont plan on porting my heads as of now, just the cam, rockers, lifters, etc. i want to gain at least 50 from the mods too. it wont be a commuter car either so driveabilty wont be a major issue. so with that said, what size cam and all the other components would you reccomend?? thanks

I would call Comp. and talk to one of the techs there. Tell them what you have and what you're goal for the car is and they can get you set up. However, some people have claimed to have some trouble with this, getting different answers from different people. What I recomend you do is call them, get the recommendation and post it up so we can see where you're at. But that's just my two cents.
                            '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
                            '00 T/A Silver
                            '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

alright that sounds good, can i find the # on their website? i'll go check it out later and call them, then i'll let you know what they say! thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X