Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch to Synthetic Transmission Fluid??...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch to Synthetic Transmission Fluid??...

Hey guys,
    I am trying to do some preventative maintence to my new 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. It has a 3.8L V6/auto. I already switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic in the engine, but I was wondering if I should switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic in the the Transmission too. The car has 65,000 miles on it and a friend of mine is telling me that my transmission will start leaking if I switch? What is the best course of action?

Thankx in Advance,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Changed mine around 45K. Now with 70K I have no problems. I used Mobil syn.

Comment

bump
      No F-Body right now

Comment

This is a myth...the only time you get leaks by switching over to synthetics is due to the fact that your seals are already cracking and the thicker fluid doesn't find it's way out...look at it like when people use a heavier weight oil because they have low compression.

Personally I would rather know if my seals were going bad anyhow, its better than thinking that everything is A OK, when its not.

Go ahead and switch over...

JMHO

KnightFire
        1993 Formula Firebird
        Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Also, Mobil 1 now makes a sythetic for high mileage cars. This contains an additive that is a leak sealer/seal conditioner to help with seal leakage in high milers. If you did switch to synthetic and found a little leakage, a leak sealer/seal conditioner can be added and they work just fine. At least it will give you several thousand more miles without leaks.

Comment

Working...
          X