Aftermarket wheel question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket wheel question

This might sound like a silly question , but I have been having an urge to put some AR Torq Thrust II's on my T/A. I have the stock 16x8 chrome wheels now, so with that said, will any 16x8 aftermarket rims fit my car? I do not wish to upgrade to 17's, just keep the same size for tire reasons. I just want to know this info before I go ordering anything and then they don't fit!
    1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Currently on the clock: 120K

TT II's are awesome looking rims. 16's will look silly IMO. 17 should be the size for sports cars.

You might consider the Eagle 211's, they're exact TT II replica's and you save a lot. Can't tell a difference.

Edit, saw this on the top of the sale page right after I left this thread.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516358

Right up your alley.
    97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
      TT II's are awesome looking rims. 16's will look silly IMO. 17 should be the size for sports cars.

You might consider the Eagle 211's, they're exact TT II replica's and you save a lot. Can't tell a difference.

Edit, saw this on the top of the sale page right after I left this thread.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516358

Right up your alley.
      Thanks!!
      I completely agree with you about 17's, but I am only staying with the 16's for tire cost reasons

I am also not 100% sure if I want the polished chromes or the anthracite (dark grey) ones yet. I haven't figured out which looks best on a white T/A.
      Thank you for that sale info thread!! It'd be great if I can find a set of 4 for a price like that.
      1996 White T/A, LT-1 auto with only aftermarket Flowmasters, shift kit, and a LG Motorsports G2 cold air kit.....that's it! She can't eat all the 'Stangs but will die trying.

Comment

Well the only difference in price from 16's to 17's is about $20-$40 per tire so its about $100 total to go bigger. Plus your better off with 17's so You can get some 8.5"-9.5" rims so you can run at least a 265. Then again you can get a 16x10" wide rim outback which would look b%$en, but then again the rims are still small.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Well the problem I see here is 17" and 18" knock-off rims are plentiful and very cheap for our cars, lots of choices for around a $100-150 a pop. 16"ers may actually end up costing you more, unless you are ok with a less than ideal fit or want a stock wheel.

Also, stocker chromes (if the outside at least looks good) fetch suprising amounts of money. You can easily get a $200-300 for a nice set. I had really bad (I mean really bad) chrome Camaro smoothies go for over $300 on ebay.

Comment

I wonder if she doesnt mean the difference between a 17 and a 16 rim size price but a tire price like the actual rubber because bying new tires with new rims would add a decent amount more to the cost of upgrading to nicer wheels.
            '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Originally posted by 'STANGETR
              This might sound like a silly question , but I have been having an urge to put some AR Torq Thrust II's on my T/A. I have the stock 16x8 chrome wheels now, so with that said, will any 16x8 aftermarket rims fit my car? I do not wish to upgrade to 17's, just keep the same size for tire reasons. I just want to know this info before I go ordering anything and then they don't fit!
              You can replace the stockers with 16x8" wheels, but you have to get wheels with the correct "offset". The stock 16x8" wheels have a 55mm offset. You can consider wheels with offsets in the range of 30-55mm. The smaller the offset, the closer the outside edge of the wheel/tire is to the outside of the fender. Larger offset moves the wheel/tire deeper into the wheel well.

And you need to make sure the wheel has the correct 5x4.75" (120.65mm) bolt pattern.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I am looking for aftermarket wheels also...but im torn between smaller drag wheels or 17" 5 spoke. Once I do figure it out, I am not quite sure what offset I will need. I do want to end up getting 11's in the back and maybe about a 8 or a nine inch in the front. Who could I contact when I am ready to talk this over to maybe give me an idea what to look for? In my opinion...if there is anything that makes a car stand out, it is the wheels. That is why I want to do it right the first time.
                -Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
                  You can replace the stockers with 16x8" wheels, but you have to get wheels with the correct "offset". The stock 16x8" wheels have a 55mm offset. You can consider wheels with offsets in the range of 30-55mm. The smaller the offset, the closer the outside edge of the wheel/tire is to the outside of the fender. Larger offset moves the wheel/tire deeper into the wheel well.

And you need to make sure the wheel has the correct 5x4.75" (120.65mm) bolt pattern.
                  Thank you "Injuneer"!!
                  You answered my question.....I really had no idea of the offsets, I've seen so many variations, and I just wanted to make sure I get the exact fit I want.

I'm still torn between chromes or the gray spokes/polished lip ones, but that's another topic.

I know I could sell my factory chromes and probably make up a good chunk of what I spend on the aftermarkets, too. They're in superb condition and no curb rash.....since I always park a mile away from any curbs

Comment

Working...
                  X