** HELP! - LS1 stuck throttle issue **

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** HELP! - LS1 stuck throttle issue **

Last month, I wrecked my 2002 SS when the throttle hung wide open and I spun into a brick wall. I'm facing charges and have a trial coming up soon.

The stuck throttle could have been caused by the cruise control, stuck linkage or a bunched up floormat. At this time, it's still uncertain but it did happen.

I need some documentation of ANY other LS1 owners who have ever experienced a stuck throttle situation. Any evidence could help in my defense in court.

If you have a story or know of any links to one, email me at:

rfingram24@bellsouth.net

OR just post here and I'll check back. The more official looking the documentation, the better it will sit with the judge.

Thanks, ya'll...

ReBop

PS - my old email address is shown as the one on the board and has been canceled. I need to get Ken to update me to the new one (listed above).

PPSS - the car was "totaled" but I was finally able to convince the insurance company to make repairs, which is great.

Were you drinking? Were you under any kind of Med's? Im not trying to be funny but I have had 2 cars that the throttle get stuck at WOT and With in 1-3 seconds the car was shut off. You sure you were not street racing or something like that? It just seems fishy for some reason man. But either way Ill see what I can Find.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I was fine, puttering home like grampaw, rounded a corner in 1st gear and it went WOT, top of the power band. Hitting the brakes caused it to steer in a 360 and into a brick office building. When the car hit the wall, the engine went back to idle. It happened almost too quick to respond.

Comment

So you are saying it went WOT all by itself? Only two things can move the throttle blades. The accelerator pedal via the throttle cable, and the cruise control. If you didn't do it with your foot, then the only other option is the cruise control. I've never heard of a problem with CC causing a car to suddenly go WOT. I'm not sure if the CC is even capable of moving the throttle blades all the way to the WOT position. Normally CC will only increase the throttle a little, until the desired speed is obtained, it doesn't ever give the engine WOT.

I dont see how a bunched up floor mat could push the accelerator pedal to the WOT position. I could see it holding the pedal down a bit after your foot pushes it down, but not pushing it to WOT all on its own. Perhaps if it was intentionally wadded up / folded up and jammed forcefully onto the pedal it could hold it to WOT, but not just all by itself under normal use.

It sounds like you are in a tough spot. Are you sure you weren't screwing around on a corner, gave it to much gas and had the rear end swing around on you? It's pretty easy to do in these cars. Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have behind the wheel of a rear wheel drive performance car? How old are you?
        Tracy
        2002 C5 M6 Convertible
        1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
        Current Mods:
        SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
          Were you drinking? Were you under any kind of Med's? Im not trying to be funny but I have had 2 cars that the throttle get stuck at WOT and With in 1-3 seconds the car was shut off. You sure you were not street racing or something like that? It just seems fishy for some reason man. But either way Ill see what I can Find.
          Yeah ConElite, I've had my throttle get stuck WOT as well, but like you I pushed it that far with my FOOT before it got stuck! Also, I shut the key off as soon as it hit the rev limiter. The OP is saying his car went WOT all by itself. That just doesnt make sense to me.
          Tracy
          2002 C5 M6 Convertible
          1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
          Current Mods:
          SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Originally posted by TraceZ
            Yeah ConElite, I've had my throttle get stuck WOT as well, but like you I pushed it that far with my FOOT before it got stuck! Also, I shut the key off as soon as it hit the rev limiter. The OP is saying his car went WOT all by itself. That just doesnt make sense to me.
            Me neither. It sounds to me like he is trying to get us to get him out of trouble.
            2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

True that I need help getting out of trouble BUT the throttle did stick open.

Here's a thread from chirpthird archives that describes the same problem I had, a bad cruise control module:

http://www.chirpthird.com/ubbcgi/ult...96.html#000005

I'm an old dude, 56, have been driving 41 years without a ticket or wreck. I can wheel a performance car as well as anyone but this incident happened too quickly to overcome as I was in the wall within 2 seconds.

Sure appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I haven't seen that on here before. Sorry to hear about that.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

My bad I applogise. I was thinking you were a kid that was reckless and trying to worm his way out of trouble. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. If I hear anything related to the bad CC module I'll definitley let you know.
                  Tracy
                  2002 C5 M6 Convertible
                  1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
                  Current Mods:

Comment

Hay Ken they are picking on us old guys.
                    But we can take it.
                    Blazer

Comment

Working...
                    X