rear end noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear end noise

I have had a whining noise coming out of my rear end while driving. Seems to get a little louder after driving a while. Not making any grinding or anything but wonder how normal this may be. It is a stock rear end with 3:23 gears and bolted to a TPI 350 with custom burned chip, MSD ignition, high flow intake and soon to be a fresh 700R4 trans. with shift kit and corvette servo. Is this something to worry about? Has about 92K on it.
    89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

when to turn left or right does it change? also check the fluid. was there gears installed at some point?
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

rear end noise

the noise is there mainly when driving straight and also at about 30mph and faster. Seems to go away slightly when I apply the gas slightly to take out any backlash in the drivetrain. The fluid is full and thought maybe I should change it with something like Royal Purple and a good additive. No gears have ever been installed.
      89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

Comment

when u change the fluid, see if its really metallicaly and check the ring and pinion to see if a tooth is chipped. the rear on my old 88 bird would howl as soon as u moved. it was the carrier bearing so i just went to the bone yard and scored a 89 3.42 firebird rear with 25K on it for 120$
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

My old stock rear end started making noise around 20+ mph, and the higher the speed, the worse it got. Eventually, the noise got louder and louder, to obnoxiously loud. Fluid level was fine, too. I believe it was the posi unit that was going south. I junked the rear and bought a 9" to fix...not cheap but I consider it worth it.

Do you notice a constant whine, or a whine that has a frequency that increases, as speed increases?
          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
          X