too much cooling!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• too much cooling!!

I have another issue here as well. When I turn the key to the on position, the cooling fans turn on. Even after the car starts, the fans stay running even when 100% cold. I don't mind the extra power the cooling effects have but I also don't want to burn out the fans either. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be the problem? Thanks. By the way, I did change both fan relays. (89 formula 350)
    89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

Check if there's a short between the relays and the fans. What about the sending unit?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

On my car which is OBD1 like yours if there is a problem that causes the SES light to come on it will turn the fans on all the time. Is your check engine light on?
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

no the light isn't on and the car runs fine. I was thinking maybe the sending unit. Does anyone know where the sending unit is for this car?
        89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

Comment

previous owner might have jumpered the relay to make them both run all the time.
          87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Check for codes anyway. Easy enough to short the ALDL pins and flash and trouble codes on the SES light.
            Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Originally posted by 89 formula
              no the light isn't on and the car runs fine. I was thinking maybe the sending unit. Does anyone know where the sending unit is for this car?
              If it's TPI or TBI, I do believe the sending unit for the fans is in the passenger side head towards the firewall. The sensor for the ECU is in the intake and the sensor for the gauge is in the driver side head towards the front.
              '95 T/A Conv., Green, Tan Top
              '00 T/A Silver
              '86 Chevy RCSB 4WD (LS1 to go in)

Comment

also the 2nd fan is controlled by the AC relay. you might want to look into that.
                87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Working...
                X