Engine Rebuild Smokes after 2.5k RPMS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuild Smokes after 2.5k RPMS

Me and my buddy just got done rebuiliding a lt1 Engine for a 96 ta. Everything seems good, except excessive oil blow by on the higher rpms. Have only put about 150 miles on the engine since the rebuild. We did use Sealed power Moly rings, and have been reading that they can take a long time to seat due to the low friction. The block was bored out, .40 over and got new pistons, with sealed power moly rings. Does not smoke at idle, or under 2500 rpm. Should I be concerned about this, or should the rings work there way through the rpms over time, as I have read that many people with moly rings have not gotten them to seat till after about 1000 miles.

I would say they need to Seat. How much Smoke are you getting? 150 miles is not a lot so I would give it some time.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

When Idling or starting up, and just cruising at about 35, hardly no smoke, but accelrating a bit and getting the rpms up, can see a good amount depending on how hard you hit the throttle, But I do think you are right, and do need to let them seat, ive heard of alot of people saying the moly rings do take a good amount of time to seat.

Comment

Whne you did the rebuild you checked the valve guides and seals, right?

How about intake and head gaskets? Everything tight, no leaks, not drawing oil or coolant into the intake under high vacuum? PCV routed correctly and hooked up?

150 miles is next to nothing, could still be burning some breaking lube. You need lots of easy, low load, low RPM miles, and a couple of oil changes. If it keeps smoking, then do a compression test....
        2001 Z28 A4 - 160 deg t-stat, 3.42 gears, WS6 sway bars, rear springs and shocks, UMI SFC's, Torque Arm and STB, leather Firebird seats, Borla, SLP Y-pipe and lid, ZO6 cam and springs - 332 RWHP and 346 RWTQ, not bad for 'almost stock' - work in progress
        "Black, the fastest color"

Comment

I've seen quite a few instances where the cylinder hone was incorrect, wouldn't you know it.......that moly rings were also being used. When you say that you did the rebuild, please explain what you did and what you had done at the machine shop.

Some say that it takes a long time for the rings to seat, I don't really subscribe to that theory. With the proper cylinder hone, I've seen moly rings seated fine within 20 miles. Yes moly rings have lower friction, but oil control is usually a clearance issue or hone issue.

Comment

Working...
          X