94 3.4L V6 Water Pump Replacement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 3.4L V6 Water Pump Replacement?

I have a coolant leak on my 94 Firebird with the 3.4L V6. I have tracked the leak down to the water pump, which will leak a good amount after driving on some days, or I can go for several days without any leaks at all.
    I am pretty sure that the water pump is going, so I will change that. While I am digging in there, I plan on replacing the thermostat, serpentine belt, and intake manifold gasket.
    Is there anything that you guys know that could help me out when I am doing this... and is there anything else that I should be servicing/replacing while I have everything apart? 115000 miles. Thanks.

Just did this a few weeks ago. The assembly manuals say that you must remove the power steering pulley in order to be able to remove the bolts to the power steering bracket (required in order to gain access to a few of the water pump bolts). I found that this isn't a necessary step. The power steering pump can be left bolted to the pump bracket, there are a few nuts on the back of the pump that secure the pump to another bracket for stability. By removing the front bracket bolts and the two nuts on the backside of the pump, the pump and bracket can be pulled foreward and moved just enough to get to the water pump bolts.

Comment

thanks, that should save some time, and i won't need to get a puller to get the power steering pulley off. What kind of replacement water pump did you get? the Airtex or something else?

Comment

also, when draining the coolant from the radiator drain, how do i get everything out of the block? will i have to run the engine to let the thermostat open and push everything out without putting anything in? I don't want to end up taking the water pump off and have coolant go everywhere. Also, is there anything special to do when changing the thermostat? thanks

Comment

Working...
        X