Proper way to brake in clutch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to brake in clutch

Just had my bud install an LS7 clutch into my car. Should hold 550 hp easily and is gm parts. He has keys to a dyno shop and I live in an apt complex... nuff said. I was wondering if there is a way y'all commonly use to break one in... or is it drive and go - no break in needed.

34,000 miles on original clutch but since a 70 rwhp/30 rwtq increase in power, it days were numbered (The stock clutch bottomed out on the dyno that y'all see in my sig). I figure a 10 rwhp loss in peak power due to the increase in weight of the clutch . Factory installed Tranny fluid was black Interestingly the LS2 GTO and the C6 Z06 use the same Flywheel

I'll redyno Sunday for updated #'s
    Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
    Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
    pics and info

I would go easy on the new clutch for about 500 miles. No hard launches or shifts so the clutch does not unevenly wear the flywheel.
    96 Trans Am WS6 M6, K&N Filter, BBK Headers, Spec Stage II clutch, 180 Thermostat, MadZ28 tune... Best 1/4 13.76@103.7

Comment

I would hold off on the WOT time and harsh launches for 700 miles... and be patient lol.

also go easy on the downshifting. a lot of people forget about that.
      -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
      2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Easy on take offs and no hard launched. At least 500 miles.
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
        X