MAF issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF issue

I am getting a code for my MAF. being as I hate to spend money, I don't want to fork over $300 for a new one right off the bat. I have been told that first I should try a spray sold at OReilly's to see if it's just a crud buildup on the MAF wires. Sounds like a plan to me, but what do you folks think?

(If it comes to replacement, I know the MAF replacement is a quick, do-it-yourself job. Is there any real value to the Granatelli MAF with its claims of extra horses versus the regular old repalcement MAF?)

Thanks.
    2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

From what I've heard, usually, cleaning won't clear a code. Part of the inside of the Mass Air Flow Sensor might be burnt out and that's why you're getting the code. It happens..... Everyone who has invested in a Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor says it was pretty much a waste of money - no signifigant performance gains. If you're strapped for cash right now, call some salvage yards and get one from there. I'll bet you'll find a good used one for under $100.....
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

thanks-not really strapped, just hate to spend the bucks
      2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

What is the EXACT code? There are several codes for the MAF, and at least one of them is based on a rationality check of the MAF reported flow vs. the flow calculated by the PCM based on other engine operating parameters. If its that code, it might help to clean the wires.

On the other hand, there are codes for no signal at all, or a signal that has flatlined, and cleaning isn't likely to be the issue for those cases.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

My guess is it's not no code at all becuase the car still runs, although it has signifcant power loss in teh 2500 4000 RPM range. I took it to teh service dept. becuase it had previously thown the codes for O2 low voltage after cat code for both sides (I still think personally the real issue is the cat failure problem that GM is doing free cat replacement up to 120,000 miles on the 2000 5.7 l. I took it in becuase of thsoe codes, but I had to replace teh starter a few weeks ago and the codes were wiped out when I disconnected the battery. hoping to get it to throw teh O2 codes again after I pick it up.

Do you know the MAF code offhand that you are describing. I haven't picked up the car yet from the service dept. so would like to know if it's cleaner or a MAF I need.

Comment

I don't know what this exactly includes, but here's an MAF with the correct Delco p/n 25179711 for $90 http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/itemdesc.asp?CartId={8EEVEREST696520-7DB6-403A-B908-590078BCD2BE}&ic=02225170711&eq=&Tp=

(If for some reason, you can't open the link, just go to www.fullthrottlespeed.com and type 25179711 into the search box).

Electrical contact cleaner has always helped for me, though. At least when it was pretty black and dirty inside.
            94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
              My guess is it's not no code at all becuase the car still runs, although it has signifcant power loss in teh 2500 4000 RPM range.
              Bad guess.... the engine will still run without the MAF sensor. The PCM defaults to speed-density mode (calculates air mass flow from RPM, MAP, IAT and the volumetric efficiency tables). It is logical that running in speed-density might result in some power loss.

Do you know the MAF code offhand that you are describing. I haven't picked up the car yet from the service dept. so would like to know if it's cleaner or a MAF I need.
              I'll check the specific codes for the LS1 engines, but the earlier years included:

P0100 - MAF circuit static
              P0101 - MAF system performance (rationality)
              P0102 - MAF circuit low frequency
              P0103 - MAF circuit high frequency
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Here's a link to the actual GM diagnostic info for your car:

http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pd...2000file11.pdf

The codes are the same, but P0100 isn't listed.
                Fred

Comment

well, thanks for all the help. Using your comemnts and a follow up with the dealer (I hate dealers) here's what it ended up being--a dirty MAF. I bought a $7 can of MAF cleaner at Oreilly's Auto Parts, followed the instructions and in ten minutes my ragtop was running like new. No codes, no stumbling on acceleration.

Again, thanks.

Comment

remedies?

Originally posted by Injuneer
                    Here's a link to the actual GM diagnostic info for your car:

http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pd...2000file11.pdf

The codes are the same, but P0100 isn't listed.

Thanks for the link!
                    BTW, my 3.8 is throwing P0134, O2 no signal.
                    now, where do you look for the remedy to the code, in order to repair, or troubleshoot?
                    Thanks...
                    Mike, So. MD, USA
                    1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Two months later and I still no luck fixing my P0100 MAF code, car just sits. So, yesterday I borrowed an Actron scanner which monitors the MAF current while the motor is running. The voltage fluctuated between 12-11.5v but then dropped to 2.4v within 5 minutes. SES light came on, motor still ran but very rich. Then as usual motor died and I could not restart, turned over a couple of times but then the battery died.

My question is could a weak battery cause the sudden drop in volts? Was under the impression that the Alternator supplied power to the car while running, right?

Guess my next step is to replace the Pink wire with a new one from the ENG fuse to the MAF sensor. Would rather not splice into my wire harness but what other options do I have.

Does the Pink wire supply 12v to or from the PCM?

Comment

[QUOTE=97LT4SS]
                        ...under the impression that the Alternator supplied power to the car while running, right? ...
                        QUOTE]

The alternator provides a maintenence charge to the battery while running. The car runs off the battery juice.

...unless we talk about a hybrid...
                        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
                        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Looks like the same question I responded to on CamaroZ28.com
                          Fred

Comment

Fred,

Yes, same question just trying to get as many opinions or suggestions as possible. Just frustrated when it comes to computer related issues which are intermitten.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                            X