Air Intake Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Intake Question

On the stock air intake (5.7L) . . . . What is the purpose of that long tube that runs down between the two cooling fans?
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

I do believe that is a silencer. It doesn't really serve any other purpose. A good way to pickup a couple of horsepower is to add a highflow intake and replace the bellow with a smooth elbow. All in the name of power!!!
    89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

Comment

I've never seen any evidence to suggest that you "pickup a couple of horsepower" by deleting the resonance tube, or replacing the elbow with a smooth pipe. The main advantage of removing the resonance tube is to make the elbow easier to install.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I know this post is kind of old but I just thought i'd put my two cents in. I've always gained a couple on every LT1 i've owned by thrashing the silencer and plugging up the inlet elbow. You'd be suprised, you can actually feel the difference. It's a "Free Mod" that actually works!
        '93 Z28 - A4/3.23, Homemade 4" Intake, 1LE Elbow, 160 stat, FAST Chip, 3" Cutout, Flowmaster, BFG Goodrich Drag radials - 13.48@103.7 (w/Dr's)
        '96 Corvette LT4 Coupe #1,163, Bright Aqua Metallic/Black interior, no mods, 13.32@108.4

Comment

How do you measure "a couple".... you can't see it within the accuracy limits on a dyno, and you can't feel anything less than about 15HP using SOTP???? Are you suggesting that the elbow is worth more than 15HP?
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I call Fubar. If you remove that tube and cover it, The hole is going to still be there and still effect the air flow. I would say you pick maybe some Throttle response by replacing it with a Smooth elbow but Pretty much you wont feel the difference.
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
              How do you measure "a couple".... you can't see it within the accuracy limits on a dyno, and you can't feel anything less than about 15HP using SOTP???? Are you suggesting that the elbow is worth more than 15HP?
              Well Fred some people are "very" sensitive.
              97 Trans Am A4 more or less stock (Mods: WS6 Ram Air with Fernco & K&N, 12 disc CD changer, power antenna, SLP Fan Switch, LS1 Aluminum DS, Borla Cat back, McCord power plate, Spohn tower brace, Sirius, HID fog lights)

1and1 Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I've got a K&N FIPK intake but it got cracked when they replaced the motor. I've still got the stock intake but I hate to put that one back on......

Instead of the FIPK this time, I'm gonna get the full cold air induction - the kit from the throttle body down.

I may not get a huge HP increase but I want to get a different sound out of it. Some people hate the noise but for me...the more noise, the better.
                Darrin C
                '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
                07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

I have the Moroso CAI on mine with a Trick Flow elbow.

You can definitely hear it sucking air.

Both were easy to install my only complaint is the PIA factor of checking/cleaning the air filter now.
                  My DD
                  2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
                    I have the Moroso CAI on mine with a Trick Flow elbow.

You can definitely hear it sucking air.

Both were easy to install my only complaint is the PIA factor of checking/cleaning the air filter now.
                    I second that.

I had to cut the length of mine to get it in. It was about an inch too long.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      I had to cut the length of mine to get it in. It was about an inch too long.
                      Same here. Dremmel made quick work of it though.
                      My DD
                      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                      X