Race Engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Engine

hello all just joined so hope you can help me.
    I am building a 1985 trans am for drag racing (track only)
    I`m not sure what engine to install Big Block or Small Block ????
    I know it has to be big cubic inches what are your thoughts on it ????
    I have never done anything like this before so i`ll take all the help and advise i can get
    looking to get into the 8 sec bracket

the car has been stripped naked so it is just a shell at the moment, to get rid of as much weight as i can
    I am installing a ford 9" rear axel at the moment it is going to be moser what are your thoughts on it ??

I am from over that big pond in England, also does anyone know of any shops that ship to England as i am limited to what part shops i can use
    if there is anything else that you think will benifit me please let me know
    thanks Lea

What "class" do you want to drag race in, and what are the rules regarding the engine? Will it run straight motor or involve a power adder like nitrous, a blower or a turbo? What type of fuel?

A Moser/Ford 9-inch can mean virtually anything.... what carrier - posi, locker or spool? What centersection - nodular iron, aluminum, etc.? How many splines on the axles?
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

well not really sure what class cant seem to find the info.
      i`ll be running a stright motor No power add on`s for now at a later date and will be running race fuel around 115 octane

Comment

The car can be built any way you wish to do it, but I'm going to suggest you dig up a rule book and decide what class you want to run. Everything else after that point will need to be according to what is allowed in that rule bookfor that particular class.

Comment

thanks for that it has really helped me out i`ll get that sorted out tomorrow
          and dig the rule book out

Comment

See my other post for the motor suggestion. The Ford 9" is the most popular drag racing rear around as it will take quite a bit of abuse and the carrier is removeable. I suggest the aftermarket carrier as they are much stronger than the stock Ford.

Comment

thanks for all the info.
              cant seem to find a second hand one over here to have rebuilt so have been looking at new ones but its very exspesive for the shipping to England
              it just will not fit in the suitcase
              do you know of any companys that could help me out ???

Comment

Working...
              X