Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 T/A WS6 Won't Start

Hey guys,
    I'm a newb to this forum and I'm a recent F-Body buyer. I got a 1996 T/A WS6 M6 a couple weeks ago. All was starting, running, and driving ok until last night. I took off the positive battery cable to hook up my amp wire, wired the entire stereo up, and now the car will not start. I did not blow any fuses, short anything, or anything of that sort.

The car cranks and cranks and for 1/2 a second, it seems to start but it will die immediately. I have a feeling its in the optispark system because i have fuel pressure (used a guage) and I don't have any restrictions in the air filter.

I went through all the diagnosics online I could find. I checked the ICM for voltage, the coil for resistance and voltage, all the grounds I could find, etc. The only thing I cannot do is check the ECM, as I don't know how or who does it.

Is there anything else I may have missed or could there be another issue I overlooked? I know it could be the PassKey thing but I reset the computer and tried again but no luck, and the Security light turns off after the key is on...

One more thing, I never get a SES light. Maybe the bulb was pulled before I bought the car? How would I check? The only one I get is "Check Gauges."

TIA
    Keith Kimmerly
    -96 WS6

You have the scan the PCM with an OBD-II code scanner. That will tell you if there are any codes set, including one for a missing or burned out SES light.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

You can check the OPTI with this. http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#opti_test

The only other thing I can think of is if the EGR hangs open it won't start. The LT1 is bad about building up carbon in the line to the EGR and making it hang open. I had to clean mine out.
      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

thats the diagram i used and those instructions with two other sources checking everything. everything seemed to be ok but i cannot test the ecm nor do i have a spare one anywhere even close to me. no junkyard has ANY 93-7 f-bodys in mid-michigan. phooey. still workin on it.

keith kimmerly

Comment

OK, I also just bought a Innova OBDII scan tool from Wally-World and it says no DTCs are stored in the computer, current or in history.

WHAT THE HECK?

I'm thinking it has to be the computer or fuel pump at this point, if Opti-Spark doesn't set trouble codes. The car says 1/2 tank but we all know how accurate that is. I don't know how good the fuel pump is but the pressure was around 40ish with the key forward and 50-something while cranking, then dropped to about 48psi residual pressure.

Thanks,
          Keith Kimmerly

Comment

This may help.......

http://www.f-body.com/forum/showpost...48&postcount=7

Comment

Hehe, thats the other preliminary diagnostic check I did before I asked about this.

I got the car started today...must have been bad (watered down) gas from Admiral. It finally fired up and ran rough for a few minutes then came back to life. Beats me, but now I have an OBDII scan tool lying around.

Thanks for all the help guys. It's nice to see a forum where the responses arent "Buy a new car" or "Mine does that too, but I don't know why" AKA W-body and A-body LOL

Thanks again,

Keith Kimmerly
              -96 WS6

Comment

Working...
              X