Blew the motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blew the motor

Well, the first time to the strip in 7 years with Steve, and the motor went. I think it's a spun bearing or worse. It's like marbles in the motor, squeaking, and the oil pressure is 1/4 of where it's normally. I guess it was good while it lasted, but thank goodness AI will ship my parts tomorrow. I attached a scan of the first run. It ran a pathetic 14.3@96 because it took 5 seconds to shift from 2-3. The RPMs bounced between 5800 and 6300, during this time. Maybe this is when it went, or maybe it couldn't shift because of the problem. The 2nd run ended up a 15.2, and the 3rd a 15.7. That's when Steve noticed it knocking bad, and squealing. I don't know....I guess the rebuild has to come sooner than I expected.

Does anything look out of the ordinary in the scan, as to why it didn't shift from 2-3? Please rename the run1.doc attachment to run1.csv
    Attached Files
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Ouch, But as I always say, If its broken, Fix it bigger and better. ha ha ha

Yeah those last 2 runs are like My old Honda times. lol
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Wow. How many mile on it?

My motor cracked the crankshaft in half at 132K miles.

I had a rebuilt motor installed with a better-than-stock cam and I love it even more!
      Darrin C
      '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
      07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Right now, all I know is that I have terrible rod knock, squealing, very low oil pressure, and am seeing huge amounts of knock retard. I can only imagine how bad it is internally. After it's done with a fully balanced 355 motor and Advanced Induction's emissions top end, it should be around 450-500 FWHP.

Here's the video I posted on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRPx2FGJj4

On the first run, you can hear it not shifting. I didn't have time to edit the video, so the runs are kinda mixed in there.

BTW, I got a quote from a reputable shop that can dyno tune it for power/smog...and it's going to be $7k or more (not including what I already paid for the top end)
        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

That was a good video!

Hope you get it fixed soon!

Bigger . . . . .Better . . . . . .FASTER!

Oh . . . What's the mileage on it???
          Darrin C
          '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
          07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

Thanks...wish I would have actually ran when 100% though. I cut a -0.017 light on the first run...accidentally deep staged it. The Mustang next to me was supposedly a Slobra, but I didn't hear a blower. Could have been an earlier Cobra. And according to Freescan, I ran 0-60 in 5 flat, which isn't bad for a wounded motor and a 2.39 60 foot.

Steve ran the next 2 runs, when the car was already really dying. There was tons of knock retard on all runs, so it shows that something was already a miss when I got there.

It lasted to just about 126k. Not bad, but I've read so many that lasted 200k+. Maybe we're not as lucky - and I don't even abuse my car...never seen 6k in 7 years until last night.

BTW, your Z looks like the ultimate sleeper

Comment

Not shifting when it should (over revving) was the first sign of my automatic going out. Then it got to where it would drop into neutral for a couple of seconds going around a hard right turn when I got back on the gas. Then it got a 6 speed.
              2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

When my head gasket went I used it as an excuse to rebuild everything and hop it up too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                  Not shifting when it should (over revving) was the first sign of my automatic going out. Then it got to where it would drop into neutral for a couple of seconds going around a hard right turn when I got back on the gas. Then it got a 6 speed.
                  Thanks, Jeff...I'll bet the tranny had something to do with it. That or the tranny shift point. I've read here http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...+won%27t+shift
                  that the shift points are based on MPH and not RPM. So if my PCMforless tune was 1 MPH, that may have been a problem. I recently added a 9" rear with different gears, so I don't know if that was taken into consideration for my tune.

Either way, the car's in the shop a a full estimate and assessment. I'll see how much $$ is left over for tranny inspection and/or rebuilding if necessary afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig 94 TA GT

BTW, your Z looks like the ultimate sleeper

Thanks! I've always been an advocate of upgrading the motor and suspension over doing cosmetic mods.

I'd hate to be "all show and no go..."
                    Darrin C

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28
                      Same here and problem solved
                      Hercules

2008 Sunburst Metallic HHR LT

Comment

I emailed Bryan at pcmforless and he mentioned that not shifting 2-3 is a major sign that the tranny is going south. So it appears a major rebuild is in short order - to have a near-race 4L60E, to take more power. I could probably spend a similar amount to convert to a 6 speed, but I don't think I'd go there - it's still a daily driver, and I know I'll have major issues hooking with the new 355.

Comment

Great Video

LMAO! Your engine is dying but you still managed to blow the doors off that Mustang, how embarrassing for the pony freak. Good luck with the rebuild.
                          Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Working...
                          X