Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Problem

1994 Firebird Formula

I placed a OBD1 Programming on April 21, 2006 (MadZ28 tune) and my A/C hasn't worked good since. Last summer it was adequate, but not cold. The start of this summer its completely dead. I finally took it to a service station today (June 4, 2007), and paid 68.00 dollars to get it checked out. The diagnoses was no signal from pcm for a/c relay. They said GM would have to "flash" my pcm. (Which would be stock settings which I don't want.) Got this done below:
    Is there some way to fix this, or do I have to return it to Ian for another 1? I emailed him today, and havn't gotten a reply yet. (It better be free.)

-Performance/Power tuning
    -Knock retard desensitizing
    -Rev limiter set at 6000 RPM
    -Disabled Speed Limiter
    -Fans set to kick on at 180*/190* for low/high speed rotation
    -Increased shift firmness
    -Adjusted for 255/50/16 tire size

Clogged heater core, and coolant 70% water/ 30% antifreeze have any effect on A/C?
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

He still hasn't emailed me. Guess I'm getting screwed. Any ideas to fix my problem above?
    94 Formula LT1 (Aqua Metallic) - Auto. - 104,000 miles - Charcoal Leather Mods: Magnaflow Muffler, Lingenfelter CAI, MadZ28 Tune, 160F Hyp. T-Stat., 1LE Elbow, & Summit Cutout. Options: 155 MPH Gauge Cluster, & 255-50ZR-16 Tires.

Comment

I cant beleave the PCM controlles the AC and why? Most systems I have worked on are only controlled by a pressure switch and the button on the dash. Ill bet your low on freon. Try jumping the pressure swich and see if your compressor kicks on. If it dose your in need of a recharge or you have other problems.

Comment

It doesn't need freon. Thats the first thing they checked. I told you the problem it was inspected by professionals.

Comment

Well then it looks like you will need to do some resarch on your own to find the trigger wire fron the PCM to the compressor relay, if there is one. I trusted a shop once and beleaved them to be truthfull untill they seperated me from money. I do all my own work now. Hope you get this fixed Quick.

Comment

Can someone tell me if theres a fix for this besides getting my pcm switched out again which I'm not doing. My car has many problems, and by the end of summer, or very early fall I'm getting a newer car probably an LS1. My cars due for inspection by Nov. 1, and it will fail. (Cost a fortune to get past inspection not worth it. The emissions test.) Not wasting any more money on this car unless theres a fix for the A/C that you can help me with to get me through this summer.)

Problems below: (Believe it, or not the car still drives good.)

Partially blown headgasket (since Aug. of last year - slowly getting worse)
            Leaking transmission fluid from front pump seal (very tiny leak)
            Catalytic converter rattles, and O2 sensors might need to be replaced
            Front brakes needed soon (probably around inspection time)
            No heat (probably a clogged heater core again)
            Air conditioner doesn't work (pcm isn't turning the a/c relay on)
            Headliner is coming off the roof

Comment

Simple. pick up another PCM from a wrecking yard, just make sure it's the same configuration ie; 6 speed or automatic and swat it yourself. if the A/C works, you've found the problem.

just an FYI...... anytime I did a performance program, I always did that to a spare ECM so that I always had a stocker as a back up.

Comment

I believe any PCM from a 94 or a 95 (A4 or M6) will plug in and crank so you can find out if it is the PCM that is causing the A/C to not come on. They are the same part number. The software is just different. You can send a programmer an A4 PCM and they can make it a M6 PCM and vise versa.

And don't forget to "swat" it like Joe said.
                2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Scan the PCM for trouble codes. I recently had (I believe) code 63, low AC charge, and because the code was in the system, the PCM wouldn't allow the the AC to turn on. I cleared the code with Freescan, and it started working again. I eventually had to recharge the system because 63 would constantly show up and cause the AC to quit working.

Don't know if it's the same situation as yours though.
                  94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff 95 Z28

And don't forget to "swat" it like Joe said.
                    DOH! stupid typos

Comment

Why did my A/C work last summer ok, but not great, and now this summer it doesn't work at all? I have had many service engine lights come on about 2 months ago probably the same code as before (Code 64. Lean exhaust bank 2. Probably due to dirty O2 sensors, or headgasket leak), but in the last month it hasnt been coming on anymore. If I have them clear my codes again think my A/C will work? Its only 20.00 I can try that.

Comment

The thing is, with A/C codes, the SES light will not turn on...so you don't know if they're present, until you scan it. If it's only $20, then maybe it's worth a shot. But if that is your problem...it will work if you clear it, but the code might come right back. You'd be back to square 1.
                        94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

If it was my car, I would find the trigger wire to the relay and then figure out what it needs like a ground or 12V to power the relay and take the CPU out of the picture. I have 3 junk yards by me and of them have any V8 F bodys you can remove parts from. Anyone know what color wire to look for to help this guy out?

Comment

Problems getting fixed Ion from MadZ28 is sending me another pcm with the same programming as I have now, and I'll return him mine. Free with no charge. He's even paying the postage to return mine.

Comment

I installed the pcm from Ian today, and the cars air conditioner still doesn't work. I had a feeling this wasn't going to fix the problem. Service station gave me bad diagnosis. I'm taking my business somewhere else, and plus there over priced. Guess I'll live with no A/C this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X