Cleaning the K&N Filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the K&N Filter

I noticed the other day that I need to clean my K&N filter for the first time. It is the one that just slips into the normal position of a regular air filter not a modified one.
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2042

So uhh this being my first time cleaning it what should I do in general and specifically the oil part of it?

Thanks

2002 Firehawk Sold

I had the same question my first go round. I over oiled it and screwed up my MAF. When you spray the oil go along the ribs of the filter. You notice it soak into the fibers...you don't want it too dark red (like you saturated it), but just enough. You see spots of white (where you missed it or didn't spray enough) just hit it again ever so lightly.

Use a lint free rag to wipe the excess off the edges and I pat the mesh to remove bubbles or build up.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
    Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
    B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
    Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
    Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Its very simple, and make sure you dont use an air compressor to dry it. Let it air dry then Spray it from the side that the air is being introduced into the filter.
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Do not clean it too often. It is intended to go 25,000-50,000 miles between cleanings. Cleaning wears it out - about 20 times is the limit. A small amount of dirt does not hurt air flow, and may even make the filtering more efficient. Use only the K&N cleaning solution and filter oil.
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ok stupid question (even though I am going to buy the cleaner kit):
            Why can't I put oil into a spray bottle and use it that way? What is so special about the K&N oil? Just Curious.

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

1 - It has the red dye in it, so you can see if you have coated the entire filter.

2 - It was formulated by K&N to be the correct viscosity for the filter's design, and to be compatible with the materials of construction of the filter.

Just follow the instructions. Don't try to pinch pennies. For something you only need to do every year or two, it isn't worth it.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

I went back to OEM paper filters, after noticing a jump in silicon after switching to a K&N filter. (I had my oil analyzed before and after switching to the K&N.) I'll see if I can find my reports and scan / post them.
                '99 A4 1.8T QMS Santorin
                (Hey, that's not an F-Body)

Comment

Interesting, I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about K&N. Would anyone like to share some downsides?

2002 Firehawk Sold

Comment

Originally posted by e40
                    I went back to OEM paper filters, after noticing a jump in silicon after switching to a K&N filter. (I had my oil analyzed before and after switching to the K&N.) I'll see if I can find my reports and scan / post them.
                    What tests did you have performed?
                    My DD
                    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

air leaks

Originally posted by '94 White Devil
                      Interesting, I've heard pretty much nothing but good things about K&N. Would anyone like to share some downsides?
                      Many who use the stock size drop-ins report difficulty in getting it airtight, esp in motorcycles.
                      Mike, So. MD, USA
                      1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Originally posted by sneitzel
                        What tests did you have performed?
                        Standard oil analysis, sent in to Blackstone Laboratories. ($22.50 for each test)

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard_analysis.html
                        '99 A4 1.8T QMS Santorin
                        (Hey, that's not an F-Body)

Comment

Working...
                        X