missing in fourth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing in fourth

My car's missing in 4th and 5th in the low and mid rpm's,high rpm's it doesnt,Plugs are changed,the car hesitates to give power,help please any one?????????????
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

2000 red vw jetta,86k stock

1995 firebird formula ws6 clone,crashed,frame damage ,sold

Very weird ,I capped my exhaust and the problem went away,the car also seems faster and is getting better mpg,(but sounds sissy)why would my cutout cause this problem,It's been uncapped for about 3 months
    2000 blue mustang gt vert 5spd,18''cobra rims,light bar,stalker bodykit,lowered 2 1/2'',roush side exhaust /with x pipe ,bbk cai,power products 75mm tb and plenum Pro 5.0 3:90 gears,Custom 91 octane SCT tune

Comment

This sounds stupid but does the cutout somehow bypass the O2 sensor? If it does that might casue the issue you mentioned. But I would think it would have happend right away and not 3 months down the road. Could be another issue with the cutout and the sensor, something in the wiring maybe.
      Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Originally posted by BrdWAtti2d
        This sounds stupid but does the cutout somehow bypass the O2 sensor? If it does that might casue the issue you mentioned. But I would think it would have happend right away and not 3 months down the road. Could be another issue with the cutout and the sensor, something in the wiring maybe.
        I dont no,the cutout is right after my cat,The problem would happen, but on and off,yesterday it was the only time it was real bad,and thats when I was really using 4th and 5th on the freeway,I usually dont use the freeway and dont even go into 5th gear or speed cause I live less then 2 miles from work,store,taekwondo and the gym,My car's not even warm by time I get to most of those places so I could have not noticed

Comment

If the cutout is past the cat then it's way past the O2 sensor. Might just be a coincidence with the cutout. I assume you capped the cutout after the car cooled off. Did you try it uncapped when it was cool?

The reason I ask is when my optispark started going it only seemed to act up at low rpm under load and when hot. Once I got to crusing speed the car ran fine, or at least fine enough so I couldn't notice. Not sure how the car's temp effects the opti but it did. On cold days the car would run fine, or let's say much better. Once it started going it was only a couple months and the car would barely run and a bad opti is a common performance issue. Have you replaced the water pump within the last year? All that water leaking is an opti killer. Are you getting engine codes? (check engine light on) If so, buy, borrow, steal an OBDII scan tool and check the codes.

Comment

when the car is cold and ucapped it back fires,makes popping sounds till it's warm,but no I havent ,I usaully drive slow till it's warm

Comment

Do you feel the backfires? Is it possible it's backfiring with the caps on and you just don't hear them because they are going through the stock exhaust and being muffled? I don't think the caps would effect the way the engine is performing or at least make it perform worse.

Comment

well in the mourning it doesnt affect the performance it just pops when I shift gears,Conelite said thats normal and his car does it to,but in fourth there's no sound when it misses,Just hesition in power,But the cap on and now it's not happening ???

Comment

You might also consider cleaning your MAF sensor. I recently did that on my ragtop, using MAF cleaner spray form Orielly's auto parts, and it's like driving a different car. I was having power loss problems and throwing all kinds of 02 sensor codes, and after I cleaned the MAF full power and no codes. Might take a look-a good $7 investment.
                  2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
                    You might also consider cleaning your MAF sensor. I recently did that on my ragtop, using MAF cleaner spray form Orielly's auto parts, and it's like driving a different car. I was having power loss problems and throwing all kinds of 02 sensor codes, and after I cleaned the MAF full power and no codes. Might take a look-a good $7 investment.
                    where;s the maf and how do I clean it ,

Comment

A guy where I work has a 2003 Z06 and he was doing the same thing. It was caused by a dirty MAF. I think it may have been caused by a K&N filter to.
                      2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Originally posted by DHolmes
                        where;s the maf and how do I clean it ,
                        You are a lucky dog with your car. Everything you could ever want to know is on Rob's web site. http://shbox.com/
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

that looks like my car,but isnt that were my holley throttle body is ,

Comment

That pic is of a car without RamAir. So yes, where you see the black rubber elbow in the top edge of the pic is where your throttle body is.
                            My DD
                            2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

so where's the MAF right next to it on the right

Comment

Working...
                              X