Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you remove rear seat in 84 Firebird?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you remove rear seat in 84 Firebird?

This car is my wife's baby - a college graduation gift from her dad, she's had it from the moment she drove it off the K-Mack Pontiac lot in Passaic, NJ. By now, there's hole up inside the right-rear fender well. It's just enough for rodents to squeeze through during winter storage. And that's just what happened this past winter. Red squirrels set up housekeeping in the car's interior. My wife, Lisa, has a natural tendency to choose the worst possible path to a solution you can think of - you can't tell her a thing. Her idea was to place a boatload of mothballs inside the car (which of course, now reeks of mothballs so badly, you can't get within 20 feet of it without passing out from the stench). She's convinced herself she smells feces in the car (don't ask - I have no idea how anyone could smell anything other than being staggered by the mothball stink). So, she wants the rear seat cushions out as she's convinced that's where the squirrels did their business. How do you get those out? I tried the usual method for GM rear-seat cushion clips (push down, back and then up in a circular motion to release the clip), but these don't budge - what's holding them down?

Lisa wants these out and guess whose task it's become? She tried an upholstery shop, but they turned her down due to the awful smell - yep, those mothballs were a terrific idea! (wait... didn't I say this would happen, last winter, before she put them in there? Why, yes... I did)

theresa bolt under the front of the bottom seat cushions. u need a 1/2 socket to take it out, one under each one. after its out, they pull right off, then for the back theres one bolt holding the bottom of backrest in on both sides, 1/2 socket and it tkes them out. then it pulls out. pretty simple eh?
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

typical...

Thanks for pointing out that oh-so-obvious solution. Typical. I should of looked more carefully. My only defense against being a complete idiot is that I find the mothball stench overwhelming and was getting close to the dry-heaves, I got outta there, ASAP.

Comment

The only way to get rid of mothball smell is heat and moisture to evaporate the naphthalene. Have the upholstery steam cleaned and then park the car in the sun with the windows open a crack so the steam can escape with the stink. It might help, but if it's that bad I doubt it will get rid of the smell completely. Then fresh air with the windows open in the sun will help after that. New upholstery may be the only way to rid yourself of the odor for good. There is a reason "most" people don't use those any more.

I hate to state the obvious but fixing the hole would have been easier. In the future you could plug the hole with steel wool during storage, the rodents will cut their mouths to shreds if they try to chew through the steel wool and move on to easier prey, and it's a lot less smelly.

Hey, be optimistic, it could have been a lot worse if one of them died in there.

You should consider yourself fortunate to be married to someone that knows "everything". I too, am one fortunate guy.
        Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Baba-loo!

Thanks for the suggestion on steam cleaning. She's determined to do this herself as I suspect she's embarrassed by the stench (and the fact that it's of her own doing) - she's bought a product called SCOE-10X that theoretically will deodorize the car.

Plugging up the hole would've been the "right thing" to do, but as is so often the case, I'm stuck with trying to fix the aftermath of "someone" having chosen the absolute opposite of that "right thing."

Oh, the dread of those words... "Honey? I did "X" - and "Y" happened, Do you know how to....?"

Good thing I love her a lot. Some days I think I know what Ricky Ricardo felt like.

Comment

Rucy!!!!!!!!!!!
            Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Comment

Working...
            X