Oil Consumption & Engine Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Consumption & Engine Rebuild

I think I may have an internal engine problem. My oil consumption has increased. For the 1st 90k miles or so it never lost a drop, the very first time I ever had to add a quart it was about 4,000 miles or so since the oil change/fill. Now it has lost a quart in a little less than 2,500 miles. Nothing ever drips on the ground under the car.

Is 1 qt per 2,500 miles considered a little much?

I really don't know what to do if it is internal. Some questions: How much should one expect to pay to rebuild a 3.8 Series II? There's no way of knowing before tear down which part is causing the oil loss - like piston rings or valve seals, is there? Even if there is, I'm thinking if I go thru the expense of tear down I should do a complete overhaul because of the expense, I don't want to do just heads and then later have to pull it to do rings, right? (the engine does have over 100k on it) And then of course there are other expensive things that could go bad too. A hard question to answer, I know, but is it really worth it or is that the "last straw" for a daily-driver car? How would I even sell the car - I think the resale value would take a big hit, no? I'd probably have to disclose the oil consumption to a buyer.

I don't know what to do. An internal engine problem is a tough spot to be in. and it is 2,500 miles now but how about 6 months from now - it could increase to a quart every thousand miles. This is my daily driver. I dont know if fixing it is wise, spending a huge amount of money. Has anyone else dealt with having to rebuild a daily driver? Any thoughts or ideas?

Bruce
    Bruce
    01 Camaro

its probably not worth it, the value of a 3.8 motor isnt very little. If your going to build something i would say to just buy a freshend ls1 to fit in.
    [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
    Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
    11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Comment

1qt of oil every 1K is what is accepted. just change it every 3K and be done with it, also try a lil "thicker" oil

if u want to tell a buyer about the oil needing a qt eveyr 2500 miles then go ahead, but most be like w/e.
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Try Valvoline High Mileage. It's got additives for higher mileage engines and seal swelling properties to help with leaks. Good stuff.....
        Darrin C
        '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
        07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

I went and talked to the dealer today. They do say that GM's guideline is 1 quart per 1,000 miles. But that seems like a lot of oil to lose? They told me its nothing to worry about. Maybe I'm just being anal about my car, but I do know that its been using gradually more oil after being solid for a very, very long time. And like I said, last oil change I added some additive - I forgot the name, I think it was Rislone or something like that - that specifically said it was meant for older engines that might be burning some oil. Apparently, not only did it not work, but the rate of loss is increasing. I have a little ways to go till it gets to 1qt/1000 though. But I think it will happen.
          Bruce
          01 Camaro

Comment

try to change the PCV vavle, could be faulty and pullin oil thru it
            2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Ditto on the PCV valve.....

Personally, I don't care for the GM "guideline". Of couse as internal clearances widen, oil control suffers....... and a healthy engine with no issues should not consume more than 1 quart per 3000 miles. Either it's being sucked into the PCV valve, slipping past the valve seals, cracked head or getting past the oil control rings on the pistons. That is of course unless it's leaking out the engine or worse.... oil going into the water.

is there any smoke out the tailpipe? oil will leave a blueish color smoke when burned.

Blue puff of smoke on startup only: excessive clearance in valve seals.
              Smoke on engine brake deceleration: excessive clearance in valve seals.
              Smoke at idle and acceleration: excessive clearance/ no tension in piston ring to cylinder wall.

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                try to change the PCV vavle, could be faulty and pullin oil thru it
                the 3800 V6 doesn't have a PCV valve, does it? if so where is it?
                Bruce
                01 Camaro

Comment

My old honda with 160k burned .3 quarts every 3000 miles. My T/A burns about .3-.5 quarts every 3000 miles. 1 qt every 1000 miles is way to much I dont care what GM said. I used to work for GM and I never heard that. A neighbor has a 7.?liter in they're motorhome and that thing burns 1.5 qt every 4500 miles. So you have some major problems there man. Like Joe said, Its going to be burning oil b/c of bad rings or something. If your going to try and rebuild it, I'd say Save up an extra $2k and get yourself an LS1 with trans. Used, you can pick up the pair for arouns $2500 with some good searching. I saw an LS1 in the Penny Saver for $1200 with coils and everything (no Trans).
                  Eddie
                  2000 M6 Trans Am
                  Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

If you don't want to step up to a larger transplant, a rebuild at a local shop provided that there are no broken internals is going to run you $1500-2000.
                    often times a low mileage takeout engine from a wreck can be purchased and installed for half that.

And as was mentioned by others, my 198K mile Camaro only burns 1 quart for 3000 miles. My 210K mile Cadillac only used 1 quart for 3000 miles, my now deceased WS6 used no oil at all in it's 2500 mile oil changes with mobil 1 synthetic. When I did head gaskets at 120K, the cylinders looked new.

Comment

Working...
                    X