new to f-body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to f-body

so i have had a w-body grand prix for teh last twp years and was thinking about putting aturbo on it with teh bonus money i got frm teh navy. and then teh fiance left me an di was liek man i could buy a trans am like i have always wanted to. so now i am a proud owner of a 99 TA, 6spd, red, t-top, with 48k and some change on teh clock.

i was wondering about exhausts and which are teh best. i am looking at the SLP loudmouth. i am also wondering which intake is the best. i wil be adding teh ram air hood if that makes a difference. the Volant that si avail on ws6 store claims to make teh best power. and the last two things is where can i find o2 sims and who makes teh best ( and affordable) header and y-pipe. i was thinking about hooker long tube headers with their off road pipe. but i want the car to be throaty and not just freakin loud. so any suggestion as to what system or compnents to go with wil be helpful. i cant wait to get home to this car and get off this boat lol

Welcome to the Forum. This is a great site to get very useful information. I suggest you Check for errors before you Submit your post. Its really hard to read with all the "teh's" in there.
    You have to ask yourself one question. What are your intentions for this car? Just a daily driver. A toy. Maybe see some or a lot of drag racing or maybe some autoX. Intake, Any lid does the trick, its all pretty much personal Pref. LT headers are good. You might want to do some suspension mods like Relocation brackets and some Control arms and Sub-Frame Connectors, and PanHard. All this will give you a good platform to build on.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

sorry for all the typos. i found a set of coil overs that i would like to do. along with KYB adjustable shocks. eventually the car wil be an auto x.what can i say i love the curves. but for now its my daily driver/toy. i wont be able to drive it every day or need to since i live on base and my ship is rite there in walking distance.
      but i was also wondering what exhaust systems sound the best. i know its personel preferance but i was wondering what every one thought. i am used to the sound of 40series flow masters and a magnaflow cat on a grand prix. do all set ups work with a ram air hood?? and where is the best and cheapest place to get either a WS6 style or a firehawk style ram air hood??

Comment

if ur gettin the SLP LM1 with long tubes and off-road pipe, bright ear plugs. get a borla, with the adjustable plate
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I am personally partial to the Borla adjustable. I know-it's a little more expensive, but the adjustablility to make it fully baffled, partially baffled, or straight-through in a just a few minutes with a couple wrenches is worth the extra cost.
          2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

is this the normal borla kit that i always see?? or i sthis a different one?? where can i find this borla kit since i know borla always sounds good.

Comment

It's the standard Borla. You might try Borla's website for more info, or just google Borla and you will get plenty of hits.
              2000 Z-28 Convertible, neutral leather interior and neutral top, hotchkis STB, SLP Bowtie Grill, WhisperLid, K&N, cold air induction

Comment

The LMII is much better on the LSx engine. LMI is just annoying IMO.
                Some LT headers and offroad pipe should do the trick. If you have the money then LT headers and a cat back Borla system should sound awesome.. Your going to pay a pretty penny for a good WS6 or Firehalk hood. Just get the fast toys ram air and save the money. And no not every intake works with the ram-air. You need the raise Air box for the WS6.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

so is this ws6 airbox something that i get from the boneyard or can i get it from like SLP?? does any one know if these cars need cats? or can i just have o2 bungs welded into my y-pipe and be just fine? are there any off-road y-pipes that come with teh o2 bungs already?

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
                    It's the standard Borla. You might try Borla's website for more info, or just google Borla and you will get plenty of hits.
                    The Borla is worth the cost.
                    It even makes 3800s sound good!
                    Mike, So. MD, USA
                    1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

Originally posted by shannon french
                      so is this ws6 airbox something that i get from the boneyard or can i get it from like SLP?? does any one know if these cars need cats? or can i just have o2 bungs welded into my y-pipe and be just fine? are there any off-road y-pipes that come with teh o2 bungs already?
                      I have the Whisperlid, but the SLP lid is actully a bit better, I have been told. About $90 from SLPonline.

As to the cats and O2 sensors, I left them in place and have never been unhappy with performance, and makes my bright red convertible a little more 'green' for the tree huggers.

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Ragtop Z
                        I have the Whisperlid, but the SLP lid is actully a bit better, I have been told. About $90 from SLPonline.
                        As to the cats and O2 sensors, I left them in place and have never been unhappy with performance, and makes my bright red convertible a little more 'green' for the tree huggers.

Better sound with them still in, also...
                        Mike, So. MD, USA
                        1998 Camaro 3800 5m, Borla, Whisperlid/K&N, ProForm shortshift, 17" chrome SS wheels, poly bushings

Comment

i was wondeing if the cats would give it more of a raspy sound like it did to my 3800. i am probably just going to do the exhaust a full SLP as money allows. it sounds like they really have their stuff down in order to make power and such. so i will probably only be able to afford the hood and the cat back for now but thats ok. its quality not quantity.

Comment

You need to create a Sig. Makes it easier for us to help you out?
                            Eddie
                            2000 M6 Trans Am
                            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

sorry to get off topic but what the heck is a SIG. i am not very computer savy.

Comment

Working...
                              X