Crank Pully

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crank Pully

I'm trying to pull the crank pully off an LT1 to change the front seals. What's the best way to keep the engine from turning over while I'm trying to loosen the pully bolts? It's probably a simple solution that I'm overlooking.
    Tracy, 97 Formula, pretty much stock.

Using an air impact gun makes it a relatively easy task to get the bolt out, without hold the crank still. Without an impact gun, if its a manual tranny, put it in gear, if its an automatic, you have to jam something into the teeth on the flex-plate.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Yea I got those by putting a breaker bar on the center hub bolt. Sort of a contortion act but I got em. Now I'm up against the same thing with the center hub bolt. No air tools unfortunately, that would be way too easy. So, I guess that means pulling the starter to jam something into the flex plate teeth unless somebody has another way of getting at this.

Comment

Got it without pulling the starter, put the pully bolts back in and used them for leverage to keep the crank from turning. Worked like a charm, now the hub. hmmmmm, dynamite maybe?

Comment

Working...
        X