Suspension upgrades vs. new gears???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension upgrades vs. new gears???

I need to get some opinions on what i should do for my car. I have around $700 to spend. I am torn between getting some suspension mods like subframe connectors, etc. or getting new rear end gears. For gears I am thinking 3.42's because i have 2.73s right now and the 3.73s might be too much. So what i need to know is what would be the better bang for the buck. My mods are listed in the sig.
    1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

I would say suspension. Get:
    Subframe connectors
    Relocation brackers
    Control arms
    PanHard
    Tower brace
    1LE SwayBar

That should be right around $700. The gears are a good Mod, but Can Always wait b/c Unless your racing a lot then all its going to do is cost you more money at the pump, and even more b/c your Auto.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I was leaning towards suspension more too because my car is already fast enough for me right now, and plus i baby my car all the time. I already had the subframe connectors and shock tower brace in my mind because i could install those fairly easy, but as for the relocation,panhard,control arms and sway bar..how would those be for installation? could i do them myself?
      1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

Regarding relocation brackets you'll want the weld ones.
        However you can install the bolt ones plus the panhard and control arms.
        Buy the 1LE sway bars (32 mm front and 21 mm rear) with poliurethane bushings...you will smile each time you drive your car in corners....

Better yet, the 35 mm solid front sway bar is the best option but expensive.

The engine power must be solid planted on the pavement...so your best option is suspenssion upgrade.....well chosen...

The upgrade gears should be accompanied by a better torque converter...over 3500 stall....
        Regards
        dochidalgo
        97 A4 Pontiac Firebird Trans am with $everal mod$

Comment

Originally posted by dochidalgo

The upgrade gears should be accompanied by a better torque converter...over 3500 stall....
          Regards
          dochidalgo
          Then you can say goodbye to ur MPG. ha ha ha
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I would do suspension first. Smoking the tires is cool and all at first, but then it just gets aggrevating especially when you know you have the power to smoke somebody, but they kill you because they got moving instead of spinning. Besides, gears will only make a traction problem worse. I am running the s&w setup with the subframes welded in, and jegster adjustable solid bushing lowers instead of the street bars they sell. Before I did that, my car had only boltons and a 3000 stall and would just destroy the tires. After I did the suspension and set the pinion angle and all, it would haze the tires and go.

Comment

Working...
            X