X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuttering / misfire need help!!

i have a 3.8L 97 Firebird (auto)
    lately this problem has gotten worse
    at a red light or whenever i stop the car, the engine will stutter every few seconds, and lately it has gotten a lot more frequent. last time i had an SES light it came up saying a cylinder misfire. my mechanic believed it was due to a faulty maf sensor. well i replaced the maf, and it made no difference. also replaced the plugs and wires and no difference. what else could it be? there is also a small leak on the EGR thing, could this be part of the problem? thanks for any help

Remove your IAC and EGR units and attack them with TB cleaner...see if that helps out any.

KnightFire
    1993 Formula Firebird
    Check Homepage for mods and photos...

KnightFire's Lair

Amsoil Dealer

Comment

Check the EGR-I had a 96 Z28 A4 prior to my current 02 SS, and it was dying on me at stop lights, surging, and was slower than a ricer. The dealer tried everything including the Opti (thank goodness it was under warranty) until the head tech (after my 6 trips to the dealer) told the brain-dead parts changing mechanic to "change the @#$%& EGR." End of problems...

Best of luck!

Comment

Check it out with a scanner before you do anything. It could be a number of problems. From injectors to fuel pump. The scanner will tell all.

I have a buddy going through the same problem with his Yukon. Scan tool points to missfire on #6....futher diagnostics point to fuel pump. He is getting a new fuel pump and cleaning injectors....he had all other stuff done. Plugs, wires, etc.....
        John
        97RS "Arrest me red" - LETSCEM - under the knife
        02WS.6/TA #4024 "Wash me again black" RDOZREL - Hotchkis STB, MTI lid, BMR SFC's, BMR SB's, SB Brake Lines, SureStop rotors, Carbotech pads.
        99 Bravada

Comment

i had the same problem with my 3.8 98 auto camaro... the problem was i needed a new motor. the code was comming up as a component slip in the fifth piston. My mechanic said that basicle my motor gave up and had cracked the block and was about to fall; which would sease my motor. So be prepared to replace your baby.

Comment

Working...
          X