Newby Seeking 2002 WS6 Mod info

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby Seeking 2002 WS6 Mod info

I've had a 02 ws6 for about 4 months now and other than a K&N air filter havn't done anything to really boost my performance. I was wondering if people could give me some info on possible performance mods i can do. I really dont know much about engine mods so all ideas are welcome. It would be helpful if along with ideas you could add like...what hp gains it has, or possible downsides like...kills your MPG. I pretty much just wanna know all the different possibilities of mods i can do for my car so i can choose which one suits me the best...thanks a ton.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of very experienced guys on here that can really help out. First things first like I always say. What are your intentions for the car. Drag or Road- Is it a Daily Driver. What are you hoping to get out of it. And of course, How much are you willing to spend?

All these things make it easier to guide you in the right direction.
    Eddie
    2000 M6 Trans Am
    Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I would eather get a f-2 Procharger with methanol injection, or, probably a nice full exaust (long tube headers, Y pipe, Catback) that could bring 50 - 80 hp.
      [COLOR=Navy]2000 Navy Blue Trans Am, T Tops, Automatic, Ram Air, Slp 85mm Mas, Air Lid, Smooth bellow, Hooker 1.75 Lt's, ORY, LM1, Air/EGR delete, Throttle body coolant bypass. Msd super conductor wires. TSP cam, ss3600, svo 38LB injectors.
      Ported fast 92 mm intake and 92 mm TB on order.
      11.539 @ 118.82 1.649 60 foot.

1969 z28 - 9.957 @ 133.92 1.425 60 foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragkid1917
        I would eather get a f-2 Procharger with methanol injection, or, probably a nice full exaust (long tube headers, Y pipe, Catback) that could bring 50 - 80 hp.
        Thats kind of a big comparison if your talking about a Blower or Full exhaust.

If your looking for 50-80hp then just install a custom grind cam and Bolt ons.

You didnt really clarify what your intention for the car was. Street or strip?
        Eddie
        2000 M6 Trans Am
        Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

I'd say start with the basics

Sub-frame connectors - definite seat-of-the-pants improvement
          Short throw shifter
          !cags
          Misc. suspension stuff to plant your hp top the ground better
          Dyno-tuning. Easily free up existing hp with no mechanical mods needed. Gain 10rwhp/10rwtq easily . Worth the $ 100%

Then move on to more things

Gears 410's m-6/3.73's A4 (LS1's like to rev)
          Larger s.tall torque converter - For Automatics
          LT headers - if they'll pass where you live
          Cam - While doing the headers get a Cam a 20 or 224 based cam will have excellent street manners

With full bolt-on and cam/Headers. LS1's can easily have 430rwhp. It would help if we knew you intentions for the car, TRANSMISSION type, and your driving habits etc.
          Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
          Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
          pics and info

Comment

Do you need to pass emissions? Again, what is the purpose of the car? If that question is not answered 100% honestly, you will likely be dissappointed with the answers you get. Budget is also one that must be pondered before starting the quest for mods. What I would suggest is take a while to think about this, how do I see my car as a finished product? What kind of money can I put into it, and how often? Can I afford to have my car off the road and in the shop should a problem arise(sh!t happens sometimes)? How will this car be used, and how seriously will it be used in that fashion? What kind of tradeoffs am I willing to accept while trying to acheive my goals?

Sounds like a lot, but I used to run a performance shop. One of my big selling points was that I would offer my customers a free performance planning consultation to help them answer all these questions before starting work on their cars. I can't think of the number of people I ran into that either got over their heads on their projects, and needed a professional to finish it($$$), ran out of money and had a great car to be finished, or went too radical with their combination, and were very unhappy driving it.

Im not trying to scare you, but I would put some thought into it, so you aren't having to by parts twice to meet a later goal.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the info, sorry i didn't get back sooner, i was out of town. My overall goal for the car isn't to make it a hotrod...i dont need anything pushin 500hp or anything. I drive the car pretty much everyday to and from work. i have like 30k miles on it and i hope to keep it till it dies. Most likely im looking for about 50-80 + hp or just around 400hp...anything above that i think will be a little much. With that in mind, i guess it would take out some options of performance upgrades. What would be the best route to go if i just wanna get the car to up to around 400hp?? Also...how much worse will my mpg be if i have my car at around 400hp compared to what it is now?

ps.I have a 6 speed hurst shifter

Comment

Id say go with a mild Cam And Custom tune and a couple bolt ons and you should be right around where u want to be. Of course with more power, your going to consume for fuel so yes ur mpg is going to go down some.
                Eddie
                2000 M6 Trans Am
                Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

So where do you find these parts online, and are any better than others, any to stay away from? Which bolt ons would you say definately to get and others to pass on.??

Comment

Look through the list of site sponsors on the main page to the board http://www.f-body.com/ .

I like http://www.lmperformance.com/ but part of that is because they are in Florida so I get 2 day shipping with UPS ground. Their prices are decent. I use http://www.summitracing.com/ but their handling fee irritates me. It's only offset by their cheap prices. They are in Ohio so I get 2 day shipping with UPS ground with them too. If I order from someone on the west coast it's usually 5 days to get to Atlanta.

P.S. Go ahead an create a signature with stats on your car.
                    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

I was curious, what are all the different performance parts you can buy that can actually improve your mpg....like, a k&N air filter, things like that, im sure there are plently out there, any clues?

Comment

Freeing up the exhaust. Headers and cat back.
                        Freeing up the intake but yours being a WS6 is already pretty good. Like you said a K&N filter.
                        2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

some headers are like....$300 and others are like $750, obviously quality goes along with price, but are there any good headers that are same quality but low price? Also, whats better,? longtube, shorty? and do you have to buy y pipes with the headers??

Exhaust, i keep running across "catback" pretty much all the performance parts sites talk about catback exhaust, again, some are like 350, others 850, whats a good company. I dont want anything to loud, i like the deep sound now, but could take a little louder, just dont wanna be idling and it be roaring.

If i get headers and exhaust, will there be any other parts i have to get to along with it, people keep telling me to get subframe connectors..

so if i get headers and exhaust, i'll have better mpg...or just much more hp without killing the mpg?!?
                          any help!?!?

ps...thanks!

Comment

Any help with headers and exhaust?? Dont wanna end up buying the wrong stuff?!

Comment

If you can have long tubes in your state, I would recommend it. Intake and full exhaust. It will help a little with MPG. Subframe connectors will help with body flex. A CatBack is good. Something like the Borla system is just about the best. Loudmouth II is awesome for LS1's.
                              Eddie
                              2000 M6 Trans Am
                              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
                              X