oil leak question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak question...

k im sorry if this sounds dumb but i was wondering if the rear main seal is a pressure bearing gasket... i have had an oil leak from the rear main seal for a while now but it was never a problem. now that its been leaking for a year it has progressively gotten worse and i noticed when i drive and the car warms up, if i come to a stop my oil pressure needle starts dancing around and eventually comes to a stop on 20psi... when i start driving though the pressure comes back up to normal.... could it be that i finally need to get it fixed... its gonna be like 1200 bucks so ive been dreading it... thanks again guys!!!!
    2000 WS.6 RAM AIR... black on black
    current mods.....
    3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

Current restored and sold projects....
    1979 10th anniversary ta
    yamaha r1 (nitrous install)

its sounds like your oil may be a little low or possibly already thermally broken down which causes it to be thinner. the faster the engine rpm the more oil pressure you are going to have because you are spinning the oil pump faster. But it sounds like you either got a lower weight oil, its broken down already or its low. Later ~Heath
    93 Red Trans Am, LT1, Auto, Custom CAI, Polished TB (mostly just looks nice lol), Flowmaster Catback, on headers, cam, and a few other goodies to get here. Debating on which electric water pump to use and whether or not MSD is that much better on these cars than the opti. More to come later.

Comment

Yeah a small oil leak is not going to cause the Pressure to dance around, from what I know. I have never heard about that. Change the oil. What weight are u running?
      Eddie
      2000 M6 Trans Am
      Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

My oil pressure gauge does the same thing, but mainly at low rpms and idle. it will move up and down and then usually go down to around 20 psi just like you said. I have no leaks and my oil is brand new. Perhaps it is a bad sensor?
        1994 Pontiac Trans Am A4 Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Longtubes,3" ORY,Dual 3" Cutouts,No Cat,!AIR,!EGR,K&N CAI,Flowmaster Exhaust,Mad Z28 Tune,Spohn Subframe Connectors,Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs,KYB Shocks,17x9.5 Chrome ZO6 Rims,5% Tint

Comment

i'd try replacing the oil pressure sending unit before you do anything major. make sure you get a gm sending unit made for 60 psi.
          87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Originally posted by ConElite
            Yeah a small oil leak is not going to cause the Pressure to dance around, from what I know. I have never heard about that. Change the oil. What weight are u running?

im running 10-30 royal purple... honestly its been the biggest waste of money and effort... that craps like water
            current mods.....
            3" custom exhaust from zPERFORMANCE(highflow cats and super40), SLP lid w/ k&n filter and smooth bellows, slp 85mm MAF, and diablo predator II tune, beefed up sway bars and adjustable panhard bar....its my DD

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Originally posted by MunsonGTA
              i'd try replacing the oil pressure sending unit before you do anything major. make sure you get a gm sending unit made for 60 psi.

sounds good,,, ill look into that... thanks alot guys!!!
              current mods.....

1979 10th anniversary ta

Comment

Working...
              X