How long can an LS1 last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can an LS1 last?

Hey guys, and gals if there are some. I am new to the trans ams and Firebirds, but have been a long time fan of these cars. I have stumbled upon a couple of firebirds for sale and if I had the money, I'd buy them all, but I'm on a limited budget! I found a 1999 firebird with 62,000 miles, a 5-speed, but it is a v6, but I want a v8 so I could later down the line pull the six and drop a new LS1 in there.
    OR I found a 1994 firebird formula with 112,000 miles, a 6-speed, it is pretty much waht I want, but to raise my question, If I do buy the 1994 formula, whats not to say that the engine with such high miles could just crap out on me?
    I need some advice from people with experince. So... Would an LS1 with 112,000 miles on it kep going for a long time or is it near the end of the line? (also taking in to consideration that the car is 13 years old and figures approximatley 8,600 miles per year. I am also taking into consideration, how the car was handled, beaten, or babied!)

P.S. I prefer the 1999 body style, but would sacrifice looks for speed, even if it means taking the 1994 LS1 with high miles! Thanks, any helpful advice is greatly appreciated

accually the 94' will be an LT1 motor. The bottom end on LT1 aren't all that different then any other chevy 350, we have a member here who is at 212 thousands or something like that.
    1990 Eagle talon TSI- daily driver

78' firebird formula -350/350- stock...now dead

Comment

The 94 would be an LT1 but still a good buy. The LT1 is a good motor for power and torque and is a good motor for handling power add-ons. A friend of mine has a 97 T/A with 95K on it and he is running headers, bigger throttle body, performance tuned pcm, MSD ignition system and more. The car doesn't miss a beat. They will take a beating and come back for more. Believe me! I would definately take the formula over a V6 any day. Good Luck.
      89 Firebird formula 350--95k on it, MSD ignition, full catback exhaust (flowmaster) 160 degree stat, custom chip from pcmforless.com, TPIS air filter, TPIS air foil, TPIS MAT relocation kit, built 700R4 with stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo.

Comment

That's a tough one to call...I know LT1s are strong motors, but I would also consider the repairs and body condition.

If you like the newer body, better fuel and less repairs, along with cheaper insurance possibly, I'd go with the V6. If you have money to upgrade and okay with the body, not to mention interior condition, I'd go LT1.

Oh forget dropping an LS1 into a 3.8's engine bay...too costly.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
        Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
        B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
        Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
        Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, I will take all advice in to consideration. I sometimes get mixed up with the engines, I wans't sure what it was so I took a stab in the dark! Anymore advice before buying these cars or when I go to check them out wuld still be extremley helpful. Thanks again.

Comment

Headlight gears...listen for the grinding gears when you turn on and off the head lamps for both cars.

Door window motors...watch for slow or slowing window power roll ups.

Feel for misses in the LT1. Could be a dying opti.

Check the fenders right where the door meets to see missalignments, they indicate improper jacking.

T-top shades if equipped. Make sure it's there.

Ask for records and manuals.

Look for fogged tail lamps. 93-97 bird have good lamps, but 98+ they fog and condensation blackens out the reflectors.

Christopher Teng

1999 · A4 · 3.73's · Auburn LSD · Whisper Lid · K&N · Pacesetter Headers/Y-pipe
            Magnaflow Cat & Catback · MSD Coils/Wires · Bosch +4 Plugs · EGR Bypass
            B&M SuperCooler · 160* Stat · Descreened MAF · SLP CAI · BMR STB & SFC
            Strano Sways · Eibach Springs · Bilstein HD Shocks · Hawk-Pads · Brembo Blanks
            Speedlines · Nitto 555s · Texas Speed Mail Tune

Lots of Weight Savings · Stubby Antenna · Corbeau TRS · Zaino · 273K

F-Body Dirty Dozen

Comment

I would say the 94 Formula. Check out the oil and smell it. Check the Radiator fluid. All those things will give you an idea how the car was treated.
              Eddie
              2000 M6 Trans Am
              Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

Working...
              X