Went to the junkyard today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to the junkyard today

It is a mandatory day off for me. What a better way to spend it?

I went to the Kuwait junkyard area and drove around all these back alley dirt roads in 115 degree heat. I had printed out a photo of SS wheels and brought that with me. Most everyone said no. I kept driving until I saw a bunch of Corvettes and F-bodies.

I got out and showed the photo. And I spotted a SS with black "angel eyes" headlights. Ka ching! I made a deal with the Afghani working there. I got the new headlights installed plus a driver's door window switch assembly and various other trim pieces for about $150.

He took me down the street to another Afghani and they conversed in Pashtun for a few minutes. For about $500 I got 4 17x9 (I hope) ZR-1 wheels with Sumitomo 275/40-17 tires with decent tread.

I still have to get matching lug nuts and center caps, but I will order them online.

Bob

99 Silver Z28 A4, T tops, ZR-1 wheels (SOLD)

sounds like a nice score man!
    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

your linky is no worky

Comment

Fixed it

Imagecave gives you 10MB photo storage free!

Bob

Comment

The SS wheels were 17x9.0". ZR1 wheels are 17x9.5"
          Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Thats nice but I noticed something. It looks like the rear wheels have a Deep dish to them. Are the Rears a little wider?
            Eddie
            2000 M6 Trans Am
            Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

The ZR1 factory wheels are 17x9.5" front and 17x11.0" rear. If they are true ZR1 wheels, they may stick out a bit. The preferred wheels are the 1996 "Grand Sport" setup, same wheels as th ZR1, but a larger offset in the front and rear to tuck the tires under the fenders a bit better.

Just looking at the photo, I'd say you have the real ZR1 wheels, and the rears appear to be 11" wide, and are probably the 36.5mm offset ZR1's. The GS wheels have a 50mm offset, moving the tire in about 1/2". But then you may have a problem with the tires rubbing on the inner fenders and the inner edge of the rim catching on the projecting edge of the jounce bumper bracket. With the 36.5mm offset, you may have a problem with the fender lip rubbing on the sidewall of the tire. "Rolling" the inner edge of the lip will help if that happens.

The ZR1's came with 275/40-17's on the front and 315/35-17's on the rear. That's the setup I run on GS replicas.
              Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

yes, the rear wheels are deeper. The tires still spin a lot when I get on it, but the car handles much better now. I will have to buy at least one tire though. I have 3 275/40 tires and 1 245/40. I was going to buy another 245 tire for the front and get them rebalanced since I can feel it when at speed.

Or do you think I should get another 275 tire on front?

I have what feels like a high speed miss and my AC doesn't perform very well at 115 degrees. Other than that, I am very happy with ithe car.

70 cents a gallon gas!

Plus I generally cruise at 100mph when driving to work.

Comment

Working...
                X