droppping in an LT1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• droppping in an LT1

If I bought a 1999 pontiac firebird with a v6, would I be able to just drop an LT1 right in? or will I need to do some fitting and put new engine mounts so it will fit in properly?

New trans unless you weren't planning on selling your old one and you just wanna see what will happen. And its not really required but if your dropping in something like that from a V6, but you really should get a new cat-back.

Comment

A ton of work an lots of money. It will be cheaper to get a V8 car. Do a search on this site. Just my two cents. But research it first. An if it were me I would go with a LS1.If you do it. Keep us posted how it is going.
      Blazer

Comment

Thanks guys. I will keep you up to date with everything I will do to my pontiac.

Comment

I'd go to a junkyard and look for a Engine and trans Combo (LS1 Prefered).
          Im sure you can do the swap for under $5000 easy. But that is some mula if you ask me. Your better off Boring and doing head work to the V6. Im sure with that you can get some power of of it, and for half the cost.
          Eddie
          2000 M6 Trans Am
          Tune+exhaust=344WHP

Comment

It's more like dropping the body onto the engine/trans cradle assembly.

Comment

sorry for the delay guys, I had no free time, had to get college shit done. If I did buy the v6 firebird, and a LS1 motor and trans, will I have to get some fabrication of the engine mounts done to make the engine fit? or will the engine drop right in? would it be easier and cheaper to buy a 1994 firebird formula with 112000 miles on an LT1, and drop in a LS1? thanks again guys!

Comment

No engine other than the factory engine "drops right in." I dont want to be an ass, but if you have to ask these kind of questions, you probably shouldnt attempt the swap. Engine swaps arent easy. I am in the middle of putting a 96 LT1 into my 91 Camaro & I am probably 6 weeks into the project already and the new engine isnt even in the car yet! If you want an LS1 car save up and buy one with an LS1 already in it. If you dont want to save, buy the formula with the LT1 and mod the LT1 to the power level you want. That will be MUCH easier & cheaper.
                No F-Body right now

Comment

You're looking at a lot of work to drop an LS1 into a V6 car, and a lot of unneccesary work in dropping an LS1 into an LT1 car.

For the V6 instance, you've gotta have the motor, harness, PCM, K-member, radiator (I believe), 1-piece driveshaft if not already present, misc. hoses and such, exhaust system, new front springs and shocks and the list goes on.

For the LT1 instance, you'd be throwing money away. For the cost of dropping in an LS1, you could beef up the LT1 to decimate just about anything in front of you.

If you're getting the V6 to be a project car, you've got a long, hard uphill battle. If you're getting the LT1 car to make it unique, an LS1 would be the biggest waste of your money compared to the many other solutions. If power is the concern, the LT1 car will do you fine. There are numerous cases of LT1s either keeping up with or beating LS1s, along with numerous LS1s that can't break out of the 13s with simple mods (some are stuck in the 14s still, albeit not many). And no, I'm not getting into an LT1 vs. LS1 debate. If you want the power, get the LT1 car. Otherwise, get the V6 for economical purposes.
                  Steve
                  79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                  87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                  93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                  http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

You guys are probly right, I think I might go for the LT1 and probly drop in a new LT1 or get the engine rebuilt. And Mark B, you aren't being an ass. I wasn't going to attempt the swap myself, I'm new to this stuff, I'll probly get someone else to do difficult engine work and tackel the easy stuff myself(if there is any easy stuff!) Body work is my strong point!

Comment

Why get a new one or a rebuild? The motor could very well have many more miles left on it. Just because it has 112000 miles on it doesn't mean its due to be rebuilt/replaced.
                      Steve
                      79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
                      87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
                      93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
                      http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Comment

Z ya later, you are probly right. The LT1 will probly go for a long time, but I'm looking toward the future, If the engine takes a crap on me, then I'll drop a new one in or get a used or rebuild one! Thanks guys

Comment

You are better off buying the high mileage LT1, putting a few bolt-ons (relatively cheap), and have fun. After college, buy a cherry LS1 car for a good price. From there, you can build it up into an absolute monster if you'd like.

Just my .02
                          SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                          Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Steel, that sounds like a good plan. I'll keep you guys updated!

Comment

Working...
                            X