My thoery on MY oil leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoery on MY oil leak

So i've had a very slow oil leak for about 2 months. I have done the whole leak detection and fluorescent dye + uv light and all that jazz. all i would find were miltiple drip points, some dye marks as high as the water pump. i took off the TB cover and saw a shredded rubber gasket that appeared to be in the presence of oil. I also noticed that the PC valve hose goes right into the TB.... And that is the ONLY possible way for oil to get to the top end right? so i did liquid gasket and we'll see what happens. wish me luck!!
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

There are several points for a leak that can sling oil up to the top end- the water pump drive shaft seal, the crank hub seal and the actual timing cover gasket. If you pull the crank pulley off, it will give you a pretty good view from underneath of how those seals are holding up. Good luck - you'll get it.
    Darrin C
    '97 Z28 LT1 157K (((S O L D ))) A4, C/I Cold Air Induction, Flomaster Exhaust, SLP Fan Control Mod, Eibach Springs w/1" Drop, Racing Dynamics Shock Tower Brace, Lakewood LCA's.
    07 Ford F150 - Daily Driver. I went from f-body to f-series. I think I'm out of my f'in mind.....

Comment

The hose that runs from the throttle body to the passenger side valve cover supplies filtered and MAF measured air to the engine, so the PCV valve on the driver's side of the intake manifold can pull the air through the crankcase and lifter valley to purge blowby. There will only be a "backflow" of crankcase vapor out of the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body if you spend a bit of time at WOT, or you have excessive blowby on the rings.

When the vent system backflows, it can entrain oil droplets, and cause them to build up in the small chamber on top of the throttle body, and to eventually flow into the passage in front of the throttle blades, where the oil will be pulled into the intake manifold and burned in the combustion chambers. Its is VERY unlikely that any oil from the PCV system could exit the throttle body. Because the connection to the throttle body is right in front of the blades, there is always a small negative pressure in the chamber above the throttle body. That's why the gasket is under the cover plate - to prevent dirty, unmetered air from entering the throttle body.

I seriously doubt that is where your oil leak is coming from.

Look at the timing cover, the seal for the water pump, the seal for the Opti, cranksahft front seal, etc.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Ok, will do, thanks for the help, gentlemen. and i'll let you know what happens.
        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Working...
        X